1/29/19

Gathering Graces 1/28/2019

*Last week I had asked some of my regular VIPKID student’s parents to have their child prepared to answer questions about how they celebrate the upcoming Chinese New Year and Spring Festival.  2019 is The Year of the Pig.  So I decorated my classroom with some pigs, a lantern.  My first student showed me a lantern shaped like a big blue pig head.  It was so cute.  My second student showed me a sign with some Chinese characters on it, and a red box with a pretty gold design.  (red and yellow are special colors for the new year).  And my third student had drawn two pictures and showed them to me.  One was of the special food they eat, including fish, rice, porridge and dumplings.  She also drew a picture of fireworks and firecrackers going off.  Later, this student’s mom emailed me a picture of the two drawings, and some pictures of the student at a snow park in Beijing where they live.  What a wonderful morning talking to the students about how they celebrate this very special holiday in their country and with their family.  I hope to have more conversations with other students throughout the rest of the week.
*Another highlight of my morning was talking with my friend April who lives in Italy.  We try and talk every week, but sometimes our schedules don’t cooperate.  So it had been a few weeks since we had spoken.  It was so nice to get caught up with each other.  April’s departure to Italy left a big hole in my life.  We often met together each week for coffee and a good talk.  I miss that.  So we try and have these online talks take the place of our weekly coffee dates.  These talks are wonderful, but it is never the same as sitting down with someone in person.
*Later in the afternoon I went down and got my classroom ready for the next morning.  As I was setting things up, all of a sudden I was incredibly tired.  So around 6 p.m. I turned to Paul and said, “I am heading to bed.”  I had roasted a chicken earlier in the day.  I asked him if he would cut it up, and put the bones in a bag to be used to make broth at a later date.  Then off to bed I went.  I tried to read a bit, but no such luck.  I was too sleepy.  I am really trying to stay on top of getting enough sleep.  I do not want to get sick. 

No comments: