1/2/19

Gathering Graces 1/1/2019

*Happy New Year!  I always love having a new year, a new beginning, a way to start over.
*Some people pick words for their year.  My friend April always encourages the women in her online group to choose a word.  This year my word is Fearless.  I want to go into the new year making some bold moves and to do it FEARLESS.
*Instead of having two big meals in a row at Christmas, last year my siblings and I decided it was better to have our Prime Rib dinner later.  So this year, later meant on January 1, 2019.  Bill purchased a Prime Rib last week, and left it for me to prepare.  People have their tried and true ways of preparing Prime Rib.  This year, I decided to go with the way J. Kenzji Lopez-Alt, the author of The Food Lab, went about preparing Prime Rib.  He had Three Commandments that he want to meet when preparing his Prime Rib. 
Commandment I:  Perfect Crust.  The Perfect Prime Rib must have a deep brown, crisp, crackly, salty exterior crust.
Commandment II:  No Gray Zone.  The gradient at the interface between the brown crust and the perfectly medium-rare interior of the Perfect Prime Rib must be absolutely minimized (as in, I don’t want a layer of overcooked meat around the edges.)
Commandment III:  Full-on Juiciness. The Perfect Prie Rib must retain as many juices as possible.
He found out, in order to meet all the qualifications of his three commandments, you prepare a Prime Rib like this:
1. Preheat the oven to the lowest possible temperature.  2.  Season the roast generously. 3.  Place it in the oven and cook until the center registers 120 degrees F for medium-rare, or 135 degrees F for medium. 4.  Remove the roast from the oven and tent tightly with aluminum foil.  Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and allow to rest at least 30, but it can be up to 1.5 hours.  4.  Ten minutes before your guests are to be served, remove the foil, place the rost in a hot oven (500 degrees F to 550 degrees F), and cook until well browned and crisp on the exterior, 6-10 minutes.  5.  Remove the roast from the oven and slice and serve.  Here is what it looked like.  I think I met all three commandments.  (I didn’t hear anyone complaining!!)

*Our meal also included a new version of Shrimp Cocktail that Christy prepared.  Christy also prepared stuffed celery and some Cranberry Bliss Bars for dessert.  Bill prepared a homemade version of “Rice - Roni”.  Besides preparing the prime rib, I made a green salad, some Yorkshire pudding, and we enjoyed some of my homemade huckleberry liqueur after dinner. It was a delicious New Year’s Day meal, and so enjoyable to spend with the family.  It was especially nice that brother-on-law Everett made it over for dinner.  He had fallen before Christmas, and had not been feeling well.  But he was feeling better today, and was able to venture out and join us for our family dinner.

Everett toasting in the new year!!

*After dinner, Paul and I played Racko and an Idaho Trivia game.  I was getting a little sleepy, so I went and took a bath, and then crawled into bed.
*It was a wonderful way to start of the New Year.

Happy New Year from the Roberts/Woolum/Jolley tribe.

No comments: