1/24/19

Gathering Graces 1/23/2019

The view out my dining room window. 
*SNOW DAY!!  Those magical words that most educators and students love to hear early in the morning.  That is what happened to us today.  I had looked outside around 2 a.m. when I was heading down to the basement to teach classes, and at that point, we had a little snow, but I was not thinking enough to cancel school.  As I was finishing up my feedback for my morning classes a little after 6 a.m., Paul poked his head into my classroom and said it was a snow day due to hazardous road conditions.
*It was a wonderful day!!  We had two goals to accomplish today together.  One was spending at least an hour cleaning up and organizing our respective offices.  Paul’s office space is in Coco’s old bedroom, and mine is next door.  We both made a lot of progress, filled up lots of garbage bags, and put a little semblance of order back into our lives.
*Our second project was to spend at least one hour in our basement storage room sorting through bags and bins.  Paul has already done a good job of organizing bags and bins for me to go through.  So I was able to get through quite a lot of things that are now packed up in our car to be donated on Saturday to a thrift shop.  Our garbage was just picked up on Tuesday, but now our garbage can is back to being full.  That feels good!!  If we keep making these little steps each week, we will continue making progress, and getting rid of many items that do not need to be in our home.
*As the day began to get lighter, I sat at our dining room table, which is surrounded on three sides by windows.  As I did my morning Bible study, I loved having the beauty of the snowy day surround me.  Paul had mentioned to me a few months ago about taking advantage of this space during the day to experience more natural light, and that is what I have been trying to do.  One of the verses I was studying today was from Ephesians 1, and as I read the phrase  “to the praise of his glorious grace,”  I was  transported back to my college days, a time when I faithfully listened to Christian recording artist Michael W. Smith, and his song Glorious Grace. It was featured on his second album, appropriately named Michael W. Smith 2.  I looked it up on You Tube, and loved listening to it again, and I loved the lyrics and it was a wonderful way to start my day.  In case you were a fan of Michael W. Smith back in the early 1980’s and want to listen to a bit of nostalgia, here is the song.  One line of the song I pondered throughout the day was, “Our hearts created for His Word....”. 

*I love spending time at home with Paul.  We work the best together.  It was such an enjoyable day working side by side, doing projects, talking, taking breaks to watch some West Wing, taking a nap, and being in our home on a beautiful snowy day with no other obligations than to do whatever we wanted around the house.  To me, this is pure bliss.

No comments: