10/31/18

SIbling Assignment 2018.10: Getting To Know Mom Through Another Lens

Christy gave us this sibling assignment:  " We are approaching the one year anniversary of Mom's Celebration of Life. Reflect on life with our mother."
You can find Christy’s tribute here, and Bill’s tribute here.



Getting To Know Mom Through Another Lens
I feel like I really didn’t see Mom for who she really was until I was an adult.
Is this typical?
Mom was mom.  It was almost as if I didn’t notice her personal qualities.  Her characteristics.  Her passions.  Her personality.
I think the first time I was surprised by Mom doing something was after my first daughter Molly was born.  All of a sudden, Mom is being playful and rolling around on the floor, trying to get Molly to roll over.  I don’t think I had ever noticed this playful side of Mom before.
When we moved back to Kellogg 18 years ago, I feel like I learned a lot about Mom through other people’s eyes.  When I would be out and about in the community, people would always ask about Mom, and how she was doing.  She had just finished up chemotherapy for breast cancer, and was also doing radiation at the time we moved back here, so people were concerned about her.
People would share with me stories about Mom.  They shared how they loved her sense of humor.  They shared how she was one of their favorite teachers.  They shared about the fun they had with her when they attended an event together.
The stories went on and on.  And I started seeing Mom in a different light.  I started seeing these qualities in Mom for myself.  I started enjoying her sense of humor.  I started enjoying going to events with her.  I learned all kinds of things from my mom.
I am fortunate to have lived in the same town as Mom for the last 17 years of her life.  I am glad my daughters were able to spend time with her as well.  They all hold special memories they spent with Grandma Mary.
This experience has made me more conscious of sharing my love of people with their family members.  Often we see people through a different lens than family members do, and sharing our love and joy of their loved one may help them see them in a different light, and strengthen that bond.
Because that is what happened to me….over and over and over again.


No comments: