10/29/18

Gathering Graces 10/28/2018

*When I arrived in Glendive in 1985 I started attending the Glendive Evangelical Church.  My first year there I started helping out with the high school and middle school youth group.  After Paul and I were married in the summer of 1986 we both continued working with the youth.  As the church grew, there was a need for a Associate Pastor, and Paul was hired to be the associate pastor at the church, and held that position until we left in the spring of 1991.  Part of his role as associate pastor was youth pastor as well.
*Stephanie and I attended church service this morning at Glendive Evangelical Church.  The last time I was in this building was wither 1998 or 1999 (I still can’t remember what summer that was we took that trip.)  The outside of the building looks very much the same, as does the inside.  But the thing I found the most amazing and comforting were all the familiar faces and names.  As I walked into the sanctuary, started seeing people who attended that church almost 30 years ago.  When I looked at the bulletin, I saw people who attended this church 30 years ago.  Once I remembered who a person was, I would go up to them and say, “You may not remember but....” and then their was recognition.  It was great seeing you and your mom Heather Eaton McIntyre!!  With all the changes that happen in life over almost 30 years, it is comforting to know that many of the congregation remains the same. 
*When I worked at DCC, I helped hire the secretary for the Financial Aid/Admission’s office.  Her name was Jolene Myers.  Jolene and I have stayed in contact through Christmas cards and letters throughout the years.  I found her phone number and gave her a call, and we got together for lunch today.  What a wonderful time of catching up, and it was as if no time had passed since the last time I saw her.  I loved hearing about her family and what her and her husband Dean are doing, and it was a wonderful time.
*She dropped me off at Jamie and Liz’s house, and Stephanie and I got ready to hit the road.  We hugged and said our goodbyes to the girls, and headed out.  We thought we would take an alternate route and drive the Montana Hi-Line on the way home.  Stephanie drove north on Highway 200 through Circle, then north to Highway 2 and made our way through Wolf Point, Frazer, Nashua, Glasgow, Saco and Malta.  (When I was recruiting for DCC, Malta was usually the end of the line for high schools I would visit for recruiting students on Highway 2).  Once through Malta, we made it Dodson, Fort Belknap Agency, Harlem, Zurich, Chinook, then on into Havre, where we would be spending the night. The scenery stays pretty much the same throughout the whole drive....miles and miles of fields.  Here is a snapshot of what we say most of the trip.

Montana State Highway 2...the Hi-Line.

No comments: