9/5/18

Sibling Assignment 2018:9 Looking Back on My Life When I Graduated from College


Here is Sibling Assignment #194 that I assigned.  While attending Cosette’s graduation recently, it got me thinking about when I graduated from college, what I did and didn’t remember from that day, and where I was at regarding my future.  Think back to when you graduated and received your bachelor’s degree. What happened next in your life, and how do you remember feeling at this crossroads of your life?  Bill's assignment is here, and Christy's will be here.



I graduated from the University of Idaho in May 1985 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Communications: Public Relations, and a minor in English.  Earlier that spring I had decided I wanted to work for either a hospital or a college as a Public Relations professional.  I targeted different hospitals and colleges in the Pacific Northwest, and sent them my letter and resume.  I heard back from one college.  The name of the college was Dawson Community College, located in Glendive, Montana.



The funny thing about this college contacting me is the comment I received from Paul earlier that spring when he saw this particular letter that I was sending to the college.  Paul had attended Western Montana College in Dillon, Montana, and was familiar with Glendive.  His comment was, “You don’t want to move there!!”  Well, God had different plans.



But, let me back up a bit.  When I was in high school, I made told myself that when I graduated from college (this was not really an option in my life.  It was expected that I would attend college), I would work on my own for a year before I got married.  That was my plan.



When Paul and I started dating, we had a conversation early on in our relationship about my plan.  That was the best thing I could have shared with him.  As he tells the story, he loved the fact that I had a plan, I wasn’t pressuring him into marriage, and, for him, it took all the pressure off!!  So when he proposed to me in December of 1984, and I said yes, he knew part of the deal would be for me to go somewhere and live on my own for a year before we were married.  And he was okay with that plan.  In fact, he encouraged it!!



So, back to graduation day.  I don’t remember a lot.  One thing I do remember, and maybe this is because there is a photograph of it, is having my picture taken with two of my sorority sisters, Barbie Rahe and Karen Connolly, by Karen’s dad.  And then the local newspaper took a photograph of Mr. Connolly taking our picture, and it ended up in the newspaper.  I think it may have ended up in the U of I Yearbook as well.



After graduation, I loaded up all my stuff from the Delta Delta Delta house and moved back home.  And then it was time to play the waiting game.  I arrived home mid May, and I think it was sometime at the end of May or first part of June when I received a phone call one morning from Paul Fasting, who was the Dean of Students and Financial Aid Director at Dawson Community College.  He was going to be in Missoula the next week, and wondered if I wanted to come over to Missoula to meet with him and find out about the job.  I said I would.  So I think Mom and Dad drove me over to Missoula to meet with Paul.  We had a good conversation which eventually led to me taking the Greyhound bus from Kellogg to Glendive for an interview.  The job I was interviewing for was the Director of Admissions and Public Relations.  This was quite a job for a 21-year-old recent college graduate.  The interview went well, and I was offered the job. 



Mom, Dad and Paul all drove me to Glendive at the end of July so I could begin my job during the beginning of August.  I found an apartment, we moved my stuff into the apartment, and I got settled in.  It was a touch year, but a good year living on my own in Glendive.  My dad described Glendive like this…”it isn’t the end of the world, but you can see it from there.”



I have never regretting my decision to move to Glendive and live on my own for a year.  I learned  a lot about myself, and I believe it made me a much better person.




No comments: