9/2/18

Gathering Graces 9/1/2018

*It was back to work at the Sierra Silver Mine Tour today.  Things were hopping in Wallace, due in large part to the Under the Freeway Flea Market going on in town.  I was surprised by the number of cars lining the streets as I drove into town this morning for work.  Work was bustling today.
*As always, the highlights of my work day are the conversations I am able to have with people who visit the mine tour.  Today I met a wonderful couple from France.  They asked me if there were any National Parks close by.  When I told them Glacier Park and Yellowstone Park were probably the closest, they said they had already seen both of them on another trip.  But it sounded like they may go east and go to Yellowstone from the north entrance, since they had not seen that part of the park before.   The also asked me about seeing some protesters on their drive to Wallace from Spokane. The gentleman said it had to do with smelting. His wife showed me a photograph on her digital camera of one of the protesters signs. They were protesting the construction of a Silicon Smelter in Newport, Washington. I explained to them that the protest most likely had to do with the pollution the smelter would cause to the residents of the area. Then I gave the a little history about the smelter in Kellogg, and the reforestation of the Silver Valley by Ed Pommerening, and how successful that was. They said that Ed must be a kind of hero around here. (You will have to share that with him Sandra Pommerening). Yes, I think Ed is quite a hero. As you look at the hills surrounding Kellogg, they are so beautiful!!
*I got to say a quick hello to Holly Shewmaker as she came into the mine tour office.  We had a nice little visit, and briefly talked about each other summer adventures.
*September means shorter days at the Mine Tour, with our last tour departing at 2 p.m.  So that means I am done with work closer to 4 p.m., instead of 6 p.m.  Paul came up to work, and hung out until closing time, and we walked over and strolled through the Under the Freeway Flea Market, an annual event in Wallace.  There were vendors set up at the Northern Pacific Depot Museum, and then, as you walked down Sixth Street, over the river, there were vendors right and left set up under the freeway.  It is a really great place to host a flea market.  From talking to some of the vendors, it sounded like there were a large amount of people attending the market, and there were a lot of vendors.  Paul found a music box to add to his collection.  That was the extent of our purchases.  But if you want to purchase knives, guns, ammo or antlers, this flea market is the place to be!!
*We drove home and Paul grilled some chicken.  Since we have loved all the other grilled vegetables we have tried on the BBQ this summer, I thought why not try some cabbage.  So I picked a cabbage and cut it up.  I put some avocado oil on it and salt and pepper, and Paul grilled in in our grill basked lined with aluminum foil.  It was delicious!!  We also had a lovely salad filled with lovely greens from our garden, as well as fresh picked tomatoes and cucumber.
*I was ready for bed early tonight.  I listened to some more of the book Educated by Tara Westover, then drifted off to sleep.

No comments: