9/17/17

Gathering Graces 9/16/2017

*It got pretty cold last night, so I thought I had better figure out where I was going to put all my houseplants that I take out and put on the patio each summer.  I also acquired some of Mom’s houseplants as well.  I took some of Paul’s music boxes off of one shelf and put quite a few plants on it.  And found places around the living room, TV room and dining room area for most of the rest.  I have a few very large begonias left outside that I still need to find a place for in the house.  I will do that tomorrow.
*One of the requirements for graduation in the state of Idaho is to do what is called Senior Project.  This consists of finding a topic, doing an argumentative research paper, then accruing hours based on the topic.  These hours can be done a variety of ways, such as job shadowing, if a career is the topic, or doing some kind of project.  Two of this years seniors put together a project, and orchestrated a fund-raiser to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia Foundation.  The main goal of this walk was to bring awareness to these disorders while raising funds for each foundation.  The foundations supply research and advancement in medications, various therapies, new medical approaches and more.  Logan Jacobson and Rylee Riekena both did a fantastic job organizing this event.  Paul and I participated in the walk yesterday, and were so glad to be a part of this.  Rylee has Cystic Fibrosis, and has lived with it her whole life, but she doesn’t let it get her down.  She is a three sport athlete, maintains good grades, and if very active in the high school.  Logan has always had a heart for helping people, especially Lily Ramirez, the 8 year old daughter of one of my co-workers who has PCD.  Logan has helped raise money and awareness in the past for PCD.  I am excited to find out more on Monday about how the whole event turned out!!

Walk for the Breathless
*Most of the afternoon was spent at Mom’s house removing items from the house.  There was a big long closet upstairs that Paul took apart and brought over to our house.  That ended up being quite a project!!  There were also other bigger items that were hauled home, and some boxes of items as well.  I believe now most of the items we are using from Mom’s house from the basement and main floor are at our house.  There still may be some things upstairs, but that area will be tackled at a later time.  The house is now ready for someone to come in next weekend and deep clean in anticipation of the arrival of Bill and Debbie to their new home.
*Christy and I also spent some time in the afternoon going over funeral details.  I finally sat down and got myself organized for the dinner that will take place after the funeral at my house, and figuring out who would be bringing what items.  I have had friends of the family volunteer to bring something for the dinner, which has been very helpful, and now I need to contact everyone and let them know what they are to bring.
*Christy and I are on the same cooking wavelength the last two days.  Friday night we grilled steak.  That is what she had for dinner last night, too.  I mentioned today that I was making chili for dinner.  She was making the same thing.  I wonder how many days we can go making the same meals?  I love chili, and I love the recipe I use.  I usually modify it in some way, but the base recipe works for me.  I also loved that I could go out to the garden and add fresh oregano and thyme to the chili last night.  It was delicious topped with some cheese, sour cream and Fritos.  Yum! Yum!!
*I relaxed for a while watching The West Wing some more.  Simon Donovan, the Secret Service agent portrayed by Mark Harmon was killed in one of the episodes tonight.  Harmon looks so young.  He was on The West Wing the spring of  2002, and debuted as Leroy Jethro Gibbs on NCIS in the fall of 2003.  And Harmon has been starring in that series ever since.  NCIS is another series I would not tire of watching over and over again.

No comments: