12/7/18

Gathering Graces 12/6/2018

*My soul was touched last night as Paul and I attended The Many Shades of Poetry, a black and white themed poetry reading with original poems written and presented by Kellogg High School’s Creative Writing I and Creative Writing II students.  From Jayden Garland beginning the evening sharing her Ode to Coffee, to Christian Carlson sharing If Nobody Knows My Name as the final reading, these students shared from their heart.  I was particularly touched by Trevor Haston’s poem It’s ok to be not okay, where he shared about being different and how he has had to come to terms with that at school.  I was embraced by a day in October as Shaye Sullivan shared October’s Concord.  And Zoe Marlair, a foreign exchange student from Belgium, shared her unique experience through her poem The Foreign.  I am so impressed by their teacher Kelton Enich, and how she can get these students to share their unique voice through their poetry.  It is an outlet that is much needed.  It was a truly inspiring evening.
*Part of my afternoon was spent working on my Christmas letter that I send with my Christmas cards.  Yes, I am old school.  I still send out Christmas cards and a Christmas letter.  But I wanted to do something a little different this year, and not just write a rundown of our family’s yearly events.  One idea I came across was to write a Christmas saying, and use the letters to help write the letter.  I feel like the theme of our Christmas greeting this year is Peace on Earth...Goodwill To Men.  I took the words PEACE ON EARTH and each section begins with one of the words from this saying.  A friend is going to Meridian this weekend and delivering my Christmas gifts to our Meridian family, so I wanted to get our Christmas letter done so I could send it with the packages.  Mission accomplished!!
*I also spent more time continue to narrow down what is going to be on our Christmas Eve Chinese dinner for Christmas Eve.  It is getting closer to completion.

No comments: