12/3/18

Gathering Graces 12/1/2018

*Last summer I ran into my friend Marian Russell and she had a great idea for our annual Christmas gathering of my high school friends.  Let’s go participate in Christmas Tree Elegance, a fund-raiser for the Spokane Symphony.  This event is held at the Davenport Hotel in downtown Spokane, and there are also some trees displayed in River Park Square.  You buy $1 raffle tickets to put toward each tree and accompany prize package.  There are 12 trees displayed at the Davenport Hotel, then six more at River Park Square.  What a wonderful event.  And it worked perfectly because Brenda Adams recently moved to the Spokane Valley, so we were able to meet at her home, head to downtown Spokane for an hour or so, then return to Brenda’s house for a potluck lunch and gift exchange. Marian, Tammi, Pam, Brenda, Karla and myself had a wonderful time and it was a perfect way to kick off the holiday season.
*When we drove back to Brenda’s house, we were joined later by Connie.  We enjoyed a delicious lunch of two kinds of soups Brenda prepared, plus some other wonderful goodies.  For dessert we enjoyed some Juniors’ Cheesecake from New York City, an Adam’s Christmas family tradition!!  Then we had fun doing a gift exchange.  It was wonderful being in Brenda’s beautifully decorated home, with many decorations from their time living in Germany.  And it was nice to be together with everyone and catch up.  We did miss  those who could not make it, but hopefully they can make our next gathering!!

Lifelong friends!!
*I love traditions, especially around the holidays, and this gathering of my high school girlfriends has become an annual Christmas tradition.  I believe our first gathering was in 2001, so we have been gathering together for a Christmas meal and gift exchange for the past 17 years!  There has been a lot of “life” happen in the lives of each of us, and, with all the ups and downs, I always find comfort in this gathering of friends each year to know, whatever happens, I have a group of women who have known me most of my life, and will be there for me no matter what happens!!
*I had been receiving messages throughout the day from Bill and Christy about Christy and how she was doing....all very positive.  I called her when I arrive home, and she sounded very positive and upbeat, and she was very happy with her care at Kootenai Medical Center. 
*I had also been in touch with Paul throughout the day, and they didn’t depart from Twin Falls until about 7 p.m.  So he would be riding a bus all night long, and I would probably see him early tomorrow morning.  And it was snowing hard as they left Twin Falls.

No comments: