12/6/18

Gathering Graces 12/5/2018

*Each year the National Honor Society at Kellogg High School has a fund-raiser before Christmas.  They sell red, white and pink poinsettias.  Yesterday was poinsettia delivery day.  Paul asked if I could come up to KHS to help with organizing the flowers so they could be distributed to the NHS members who sold them.  So I spent my afternoon surrounded by the beautiful flowers getting them ready to be picked up. And I purchased some myself.  They are the first holiday decorations in my living room.  More will come in the next few days.
*Paul got a few other Christmas details taken care of this afternoon.  We had purchased some lights last year from our local Ace Hardware.  They had a ten year warranty.  When we put them up the Sunday after Thanksgiving they were working fine.  A few days later, I came home and they had quit working.  I remembered they had a warranty.  When I looked on the spool they were purchased on, it said to return them to where they were purchased, and they would be replaced with the same or similar item (as long as you had the receipt).  I knew I had saved the receipt from last year, just in case this happened.  But now the big question was, “Where was the receipt?”  I looked around on my desk, and saw a receipt in a coffee mug full of pens and pencils.  Guess what!!!  It was the receipt I was looking for.  I didn’t realize I had such an efficient filing system....LOL!!  So Paul ended up coming home with some replacement lights, and it didn’t cost us a thing.  Our local Ace Hardware was very accommodating.  The new lights will go up hopefully tomorrow or the next day.
*Paul also went and purchased us a Christmas tree at Yokes.  Their selection was getting a little low, so I thought we had better go buy one.  Charles (the awesome Yoke’s checker) helped Paul find one with an appropriate sized trunk to put in the tree stand.  So that will be put up this weekend as well.
*In preparation of all the holiday festivities, I rearranged the living room to make room for the Christmas tree.  This year it will be right in front of the living room window.  While I was doing this, Zoe called to talk about some stuff, so we both worked on some projects at our homes while we talked.  Now to start hauling boxes up from the basement and get decorating!!  Today I also started working on details for our upcoming Chinese-themed Christmas Eve dinner. 
*I had taken out some stew meat the day before to thaw, and put it in the Crock Pot this morning along with some frozen vegetables to create a beef stew to have for dinner.  I have a recipe I like to use, which is found in my original Crock Pot cookbook.  And it is always in the same drawer, to the left of my silverware drawer.  But it was not in there.  I looked at the cupboard under the drawer, and there it was, along with many other loose papers and booklets.  This motivated me to clean out this “junk drawer” and throw away alot of items we didn’t need anymore.  I also tackled two drawers in the living room as well.  Woo Hoo!!  When I went to deliver the poinsettias Christy ordered, I took over some stew for her and Everett to have for dinner.  Christy had suffered from a bad headache, a side effect of the antibiotic she is taking.  But the headache had gone away, and she was feeling better.  Her and I will tackle some of her Christmas decorating on Friday.

No comments: