8/21/17

Gathering Graces 8/20/2017

*It was nice hearing from Paul this morning that Cosette had got some rest while in the hospital the night before, and was finally keeping food down.  She was discharged in the afternoon, and will stay with Molly and Travis at their apartment.  The hospital gave her a note to give her professors and work that she needs to take a week off to rest and recuperate.  I hope she listens!  (Yes, this is a HINT! HINT! for you Cosette).
*I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to attend The Million Dollar Quartet this afternoon at the Kroc Center in Coeur d’Alene, but I made it happen.  Christy let me borrow her car, and I knew Cosette was getting released from the hospital, so I took part in the last show of the season, as a special way to remember Mom.  Mom had bought herself, Paul and I season tickets to the three summer shows as birthday presents for us.  She was unable to attend any of the shows.  We missed the first show because I was out of town, and Paul and Zoe forgot to go.  Paul, Molly and I enjoyed South Pacific.  So I went to this one alone.  I got a little teary at the beginning, thinking about Mom and the times we enjoyed attending these shows together.  And the show was fabulous.  The premise of the show is based on a real event that happened at Sun Records recording studio with Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis all were there at the same time, and had a “jam session” of sorts.  At intermission I texted Paul, who was not going to make it to the show, saying I hoped I wouldn’t cry too much when they performed Peace in the Valley in the second act.  Paul had been singing this to Mom the weeks up to her death.  And I did cry when they sang it.  It is a beautiful song.  Here is the actual Million Dollar Quartet performing this song, as well as others here.
*After the show, I called Paul on the phone, and I also called Cosette to see how she was doing.  She was a little teary.  A lot of love from family members had been sent her way today, and she was very overwhelmed.  A big thank you to Kevin, Linda, Karlie, David, Michele, Laurie and anyone else who sent her messages.  She was very touched and really felt your love.
*One of Mom’s favorite restaurants in Coeur d’Alene was Applebees.  So continue with this afternoon of remembering Mom, I went to Applebees to eat dinner.  When I arrived, there was a table of three ladies who I sat by at the show (who I know from the valley).  They asked me to join them, and I did.  It was nice visiting with them.
*Paul hadn’t quite made it to Coeur d’Alene by the time I was done with dinner, so I drove home and waited for him to arrive.  It was so nice to have him home. 
*I am glad I was able to be with Mom in spirit today doing a few of her favorite things.  But it made me miss her even more.

No comments: