2/16/19

Gathering Graces 2/15/2019

*A little before noon I braved the not so fun roads of east Shoshone County and drove to Wallace to host some of the Kellogg Middle School students who were on a field trip today. (The Kellogg School District employees were having a professional development day today, so the students did not have school.) These students, part of the after school program where I have my drama class, spent the morning in Mullan swimming at the Mullan Pool, then ate lunch and came to the theater for a couple of hours.  What an awesome afternoon with an equally awesome group of kids.  We played games, toured the theater, acted out some Melodrama skits, and they learned what melodrama was all about, as well acting out in a few melodrama skits.  I also some some awesome volunteers who came to help.  Savannah Hartenfels, a former KHS drama student and current Sixth Street Board member, came and opened up the theater for us, and was so wonderful to have as part of the afternoon.  Four of Paul’s drama students at KHS also were there to help.  Harley Duce and Daighla Williams gave up their afternoon off from school to help volunteer, and Grant Grant Ray Turner and Garrett Miller were already helping with the field trip.  As I took half of the group upstairs to look tour the theater, Savannah, Harley, Daighla, Grant and Garrett talked with the other students about their experiences with theater at KHS, doing drama and speech competitions, doing plays, making movies and other theatrical opportunities they have had.  The KMS WISE director Scott Albrethsen can be commended for the way the students behaved and how we all had so much fun. 
*As I headed down Interstate 90 toward Wallace, the snow was falling pretty hard, and the roads were rather slushy.  After semi trucks and big four wheel trucks raced by me, I decided to take the Osburn exit and travel on the “old road” into Wallace.  I could go slow, not deal with as much traffic, and feel a bit safer.  On the way home, I drove on the old road the entire way from Wallace to Kellogg.  It may have taken me a bit longer, but I felt much more at ease driving slow and careful.
*After teaching a few classes this evening, Paul had dinner ready for me.  It tasted very good.  He had bought some sausage stuffed mushrooms and a bacon wrapped chicken breast. I could smell it cooking as the smells wafted down into the basement.

No comments: