8/26/18

Gathering Graces 8/25/2018

*I got to sleep in a bit this morning.  That is always a treat!!
*Cosette and Taylor headed off to Coeur d’Alene to work on their latest interior painting job.
*The morning was spent figuring out my new September schedule for VIPKID.  I looked at my schedule, and put in my availability for each day in September.  Here’s hoping I get some students this next month!!  Woo Hoo!! 
*Today was pickle day!  I had been talking about making pickles from my rat tail radishes, so today was the day.  I went outside and picked some of the dill out in the garden.  I went to the basement to find my canner, and pint jars and other supplies.  I brought them up to the kitchen, and washed the jars thoroughly.
*I put some pickling salt, 1/2 a garlic clove, some red pepper flakes, and some dill in each pint jar.  I made a pickling brine of 1/2 water, 1/2 distilled white vinegar and heated it up.  I got the radishes out of the fridge, and washed them off, and cut them up.  I packed the jars, and put some of the brine in the jar.  Then they got a 20 minute hot water bath.
*I took a break from canning, and went over to Bonnie Farmin’s house to get some wine she offered us to fill our new wine rack, and to look at all her beautiful quilts she has made.  I brought her over some of our bumper crop of squash we have been picking.  It was nice to see her and visit, and see all her beautiful creations!!  She has kept very busy since retiring from the Kellogg School District a few years ago.
*I came back home and finished up the pickles.  I still had a few jars that didn’t get filled with the radishes, so I cut up some of the summer squash and put it in jars to pickle.  It is all an experiment, so we will see how they turn out tomorrow when I open up a jar to taste them.  But I think you can basically pickle anything!!
*As life was going on as usual here in Kellogg, my niece Adrienne Diedrich was marrying Josh Langford back in Nyack, New York.  Adrienne is Bill and Debbie’s daughter.  It was fun seeing photographs posted throughout the day.  Adrienne was a beautiful bride, and the whole thing looked wonderful!!
*Paul had to work concessions at the Sixth Street Melodrama tonight, so I went with him.  Cosette and Taylor were going to join us, but the were tuckered out after a long day of painting today.  When we got home, they were fast asleep!  It was a fun show.  I saw Becky Jackson, who I have not seen in years, and Lisa Siri, who was one of the cast members.  Both of these ladies have been in past Sixth Street productions.

No comments: