8/20/18

Gathering Graces 8/19/2018

*We were hosting Family Dinner tonight, so I spent the afternoon preparing for dinner.  It was fun to plan the meal, and try out some new things.
*The menu included stuffed zucchini, which needed a tomato sauce.  I pulled out my Marcella Hazen Tomato Sauce recipe to make as the base for this recipe.  If you have never tried this recipe, it is so delicious.  And today was even better, because I was able to use fresh tomatoes from my garden.  The recipe consists of chopped tomatoes, butter and an onion cut in half. These ingredients simmer on the stove for about 45 minutes or so, and you have a delicious sauce.
*We had been given some elk burger earlier this summer.  I browned it, and added some Italian sausage, and sauteed some onions, green pepper and garlic, and added this all together with the tomato sauce, and had my stuffing for the zucchini.  The small round Ronde de Nice squash I have been growing were perfect to stuff.  I also stuffed a couple of the what I think are a combination zucchini/butternut squash that are growing in my big pile of dirt.  The stuffing also had a bit of Mozzarella cheese in the stuffing.  They turned out delicious.
*I picked some Swiss Chard, and Paul grilled it on the BBQ.  Once it was grilled, I chopped it up and added Almond Oil, lemon juice and Kosher Salt.  I also picked a variety of salad greens, a cucumber, tomatoes, and added some radishes and peas for a wonderfully fresh chopped salad.
*Today I ventured into Keto cake baking, making a chocolate zucchini cake.  It turned out good, despite the fact I forgot to put butter in it.  I found the melted butter in the microwave after I had baked the cake.  Oh well.  The cake still tasted great!!
*It was a wonderful evening gathering around our table outside, and enjoying visiting, great food, great drink and great conversation.  The smoke covered the sky this evening, but it has not been as bad here as it has been in parts of the Northwest.

No comments: