8/25/18

Gathering Graces 8/24/2018

*Today I spent a majority of the day preparing to teach two “practice classroom” lessons on video for VIPKID to earn a certification, which will hopefully help me get more bookings with students.  I did these both in the afternoon, and learned shortly afterwards I passed, and am now waiting for a student to book a “Little Translator” class.  In the early evening I took a workshop on Time Management, learning tips on how to get through the whole lesson in 25 minutes, even if there are obstacles that come up.  I am really enjoying learning more about how to teach this way, and being better prepared.
*Paul and I spent some time in the yard this afternoon.  I did a harvest of some cucumbers, a few green beans, and many squash from the big pile of dirt.  My summer squash plants have been taken over by powdery mildew, and so I trimmed off the leaves that were most affected by this, and hopefully this will help them produce a little better.  I need to do a little research on how to keep that from coming back next year.  This is the worst it has ever been!!  But the summer squash just keep on coming!
*We are loving the taste of the squash when we grill it on the bbq.  It was wonderful having fresh picked cucumbers and tomatoes in a salad with avocado, stevia, avocado oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper.  Besides the grilled squash, which included three varieties, green acorn, white acorn and our hybrid zucchini/butternut squash, Paul also grilled some chicken. For the squash, I just cut it into slices with the peel still on, rub olive oil on both sides, and then salt and pepper the top.  After they came off the grill, I grated Parmesan Cheese on top of them.  The heat of the grill brings out the sweet, nutty flavor of the squash, and it is, as Paul said last night, “just like candy!!”
*Paul had a couple projects going yesterday.  He loves stopping by a local second hand store in town called Cattails, and seeing what is for sale.  He had stopped by there the other day and saw a custom built wine rack that he thought was pretty cool looking, and came home and told me about it.  He went back to look at it today, and the price had dropped $20 from the price it was the ot.  He thought about it, about where we could put it in our house, and before I knew it, he was home with the wine rack.  He installed it yesterday afternoon, and it looks perfect.  Now all we need are some delicious varieties of wine to add to it!  He also took some time to trim back the raspberry canes, and made our raspberry patch look better.

Second hand custom built wine rack.  It looks like it was meant for this wall!

*Cosette and Taylor arrived back from the painting job in Coeur d’Alene while I was doing my online workshop.  They ate a little bit, and joined Paul out at our firepit.  I joined them when my workshop got over.  It was a bit chilly, so the fire felt really good!!  Zoe called Cosette as we were sitting out there, talking about her first week back at school as a paraprofessional at Meridian Middle School.  Then the painters were tired, Paul and I were tired, so we all got ready to head off to bed. 

No comments: