2/20/17

Gathering Graces 2/19/2017

*One of the verses from my morning Bible reading was in Luke 6, where Jesus says, “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”  Then, when I get to church, our pastor shares these verses from Matthew 5, where Jesus says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor, and hate your enemies’.  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of you Father in heaven.”  Who am I becoming?  How will I respond to people that don’t deserve my care or compassion?  What will I say or do to the one who has disappointed me and to who I feel justifiable anger?  Christ brings love to a broken and hurting world.  As a Christian, I am to share that love to others just as Christ did.  Am I loving my enemies, or just tolerating them and respecting them?  Some serious words to meditate on this week.
*After church Paul and I went to see Joan Ross at her home.  What a delightful time we had visiting with her, as well as  her sister Rachael, and her son Rob and my friend Nikki.  Later, while we were there, Bev Jacobs arrived with her son and daughter Ron and Sharon.  It was nice to visit with all of them.  It was a lively time of conversation and laughs.
*I had a quick conversation with Molly on phone about couches.  Even though is was quick, it is always nice to talk to one of the girls.  Then later in the day, Zoe called, because she had been doing research on names in the Bible, and had sent her dad an email about the name Nimrod, and how the meaning of that name had changed because of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  It was nice catching up with her, and we are excited she will be coming home for her spring break at the end of March.
*There is a show on Netflix called The Royals that focuses on different aspects of England’s royal family. One episode focused on weddings, one focused on funerals, and one on being a teenage royal.  There was much said in the wedding and the funeral episodes about Princess Diana.  It is such a tragic story.  They referred to Elton John’s beautiful song Candle in the Wind that he sung at the funeral, so I had to listen.  If you would like to as well, here it is.


No comments: