6/27/17

Gathering Graces 6/26/2017

*Today was a big day in the kitchen.  But Kellee and I had so much fun spending the majority of the day in the kitchen preparing food, singing to 70’s rock music, and dancing around occasionally.


Zeppoli

*Most of these recipes I am preparing this week I have never made before.  I  just go for it.  Like the zeppoles I made for breakfast.  Little balls of dough you fry up and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.  I learned I needed to turn the oil down and make the balls smaller as I went along.  They were do delizioso!!


Panzanella Salad

*For lunch, Kellee and I put together a panzanella salad, which I have made before.  I love the fresh flavors of tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and basil mixed with red wine vinegar and olive oil. 


Little Veal Meatballs with Artichokes and Cherry Tomatoes



Roasted Asparagus and Green Beans



Lemon Cake


*For dinner, the menu was more new items.  The main course was Little Veal Meatballs with Artichoke and Cherry Tomatoes.  I am not sure I have ever prepared veal before.  It got very hot in the kitchen.  So hot that Kellee would have to continuously wipe my brow with a paper towel.  We also had green salad, roasted vegetables and a lemon cake, which we used to celebrate Sherri Melson’s birthday.  Sherri is one of the retreat participants.

Roasted Cauliflower and Onions



Green Salad with edible flowers

*We thought clean up would be really hard in the kitchen, but it didn’t go too bad.  We had used some white wine in the sauce for the veal meatballs, so as a reward for the end of a hard’s days work, Kellee and I shared the rest of the wine before we headed to bed.
*What an opportunity to cook these meals.  The fun of it is this is our job.  This is all we are responsible for this week.  Cooking the meals, serving the meals,  and cleaning up afterwards.  I LOVE cooking new foods and new recipes, and serving them up and people enjoying the flavors.  So far, so good.  I think everyone has liked the food.  (We are also a bit of comic relief throughout the day, too.  You can’t leave the kitchen here at Villa Magnolia without a smile on your face!!)
*Zoe sent me a message, and said Mom asked her if I was sweating here in Italy.  After yesterday, I can say with a RESOUNDING YES, I am sweating here in Italy!! 

No comments: