10/3/17

Gathering Graces 10/2/2017

* The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels, but every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard. We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory, God bless you and God bless the United State of America. Thank you.
*These words kept going through my mind today as I heard the news of the shootings in Las Vegas and talked about it throughout the day.  These are the words from an episode of The West Wing, when fictional president Jed Bartlett shared this after a bomb exploded at a swim meet and killed some college students.  The first words, the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight kept running over and over through my head today. 
*Later in the day I learned that the daughter and son-in-law of our friends Tom and DeAnn were at the concert, but remained safe.  My thoughts turned to Cecilia Heston, one of our KHS graduates attending UNLV, and was glad she posted on Facebook that she was safe. I have prayed many prayers today.  The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight.
*Around 1 p.m., Bill, Christy and I met with Debbie Mikesell at the Shoshone Funeral Home to finalize plans for Mom’s service on Friday.  I think we are all set.
*On Sunday I was having a conversation with Pastor Dave who is very knowledgeable about the grieving process, and he said you just never know when things will hit you.  Well, I was hit tonight in a strange way.  Maybe it was a combination of the news of the shooting, and talking about Mom’s service, but Cosette had purchased a new phone, and needed me to reactivate the phone of hers that was recently stolen, and the process was not going smoothly, and I had a bit of a meltdown.  I was STRESSED OUT!!!  Funny how a little insignificant thing can do that, but it did.  Paul suggested I stay home from rehearsal last night, and I did.  Later in the evening, I eventually got back online and did the proper steps to get Coco’s phone reactivated.  But I was a bit off all night long.  I will probably be a bit off for the rest of the week.
*If you went to Mom’s house, many angels were on display.  They brought Mom comfort.  I have kept some of those angels and they are now displayed on a shelf in our basement.  An image that often brings me comfort is the one from the book of Revelation, the fourth chapter.  These words are comforting, terrifying, inspiring and frightening.  Yet, they bring me comfort.  They are John’s words describing the throne of heaven. 
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying:
“‘Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,’[b]
who was, and is, and is to come.”
9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”

The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight.

No comments: