5/27/14

Laundry

Of the multitude of chores I do around the house, doing the laundry is actually one of my favorite.



Maybe because this was a task growing up that we were forbidden take part in around the house.  Mom was the mistress of the washer and dryer, and we did not get to touch those two machines.

I didn't use a washing machine or dryer until I moved to college. 

At our house now, everyone does their own laundry, and it has been this way for quite some time.

I don't mind doing my own laundry.  I enjoy separating the clothes into different piles.  I like the feel of clothes coming straight out of the dryer, all warm and fresh smelling.  I like coming into my bedroom and putting the clothes on the bed, and once again sorting them and hanging them up in my closet.

Tonight I finally did the clothes exchange in my closet.  This is a bi-annual ritual I do where I pack away the clothes from one season, and replace them with the clothes of another season.  This happens twice a year.  Today it involved removing the sweaters, turtlenecks and flannel pajamas from my closet, and replacing them with the brighter colored short sleeved and sleeveless tops, shorts and capris.

Often I get a little behind on the folding part of the laundry.  We have a table right outside the laundry room that often gets piled high of towels, sheets and blankets.  And then I kind of get used to them on the table, and forget they are there.  This past weekend I finally got caught up on the mound of towels on the table, and got them all folded and put away.


 


For many years, I was a fabric softener sheet user.  But in the past few years, I have started using liquid fabric softener, and am now a convert.  I love the feel clothes have when you use fabric softener, especially towels.  And they smell so nice, too.

I was fortunate I was able to do laundry tonight, and have the time to get it put away.  The worst times to do laundry is when you don't have the time to put it away.  Then it gets put in a big pile, and laid in the closet, and then it just becomes a jumbled mess.  Things are back to some semblance of order in my closet.

For some reason, this makes me feel very content.

No comments: