5/18/14

Church

I have spent my life attending church.

When I was little, I walked across the street for our house to church to attend Sunday School.  As I got older, I attended church services on my own.  It was just something I chose to do every Sunday morning. 

Going to church was a little harder in college.  But I went to several different churches while attending the University of Idaho in Moscow.

I am glad I have attended a variety of different churches throughout my life.  I think it has helped me appreciate the different denominations and beliefs of different Christians.

Today I attend the church I attended in my youth.  It was called The United Church of Kellogg when I was growing up. But at some point in the last 20 years or so, it was changed to Mountain View Congregational Church.

Our church service today was very special.  It was one of those Sundays that reminds me why I believe being a part of a body of Christ is important, and to have a fellowship of believers to have in your life so you can lift them up, and they can lift you up through the trials and the triumphs of life.

We have a couple in our church, Simon and Amy Miller, who have a special calling in their lives.  The calling is opening up their hearts and lives to Chinese orphans who need adopted.  Their first daughter they adopted is named Gracie.  Two years ago, they adopted Gemma.  This week they travel once again to China to meet their third daughter, Gia. 

During church this morning, we as a church body gathered around this family, laying our hands on them and praying for them.  Many people prayed for a variety of different needs that they will be facing in the coming weeks.

Then Simon got up and shared from his heart about this adoption process.  I love when Simon shares.  He is so real.  He tells it like it is.  He shared about being excited.  But he also shared about being scared.  He shared about being anxious, because when they first got Gemma, she cried and cried and Simon had to hold her for over an hour.

But through his sharing, Simon showed us that we are the same way.  God, who is Our Father, also holds us with an unconditional love, even when we are scared and kicking and screaming, because He knows what is best for us, even if we don't quite get it at the moment.

Last night, Simon had been doing some work on this laptop while watching TV, and fell asleep on the cough.  At 1 a.m. he woke up, and Michael W. Smith was singing on the television.  The song he was singing was the exact song Simon needed to hear last night, and the words were perfect for what they are going through right now in their lives.  The name of the song is "Sovereign Over Us" and here are the lyrics, followed by Michael W. Smith singing the song:

Sovereign Over Us

There is strength within the sorrow, There is beauty in our tears
You meet us in our mourning, With a love that casts out fear
You are working in our waiting, Sanctifying us
When beyond our understanding, You're teaching us to trust

CHORUS
Your plans are still to prosper, You have not forgotten us
You're with us in the fire and the flood
Faithful forever, Perfect in love
You are sovereign over us


You are wisdom unimagined, Who could understand your ways
Reigning high above the heavens, Reaching down in endless grace
You're the Lifter of the lowly, Compassionate and kind
You surround and You uphold me, Your promises are my delight


Even what the enemy means for evil
You turn it for our good, You turn it for our good and for your glory
Even in the valley You are faithful
You're working for our good, You're working for our good and for your glory


If you would like to follow Simon and Amy's journey with their daughter's Gracie and Gemma as they go meet Gia, you can read their blog at http://www.vandalgrads.com/

And I'm sure they would appreciate your prayers over the next few weeks as they travel to China to meet their new daughter.

No comments: