2/5/18

Gathering Graces 2/4/2018

*Most of today was spent preparing family dinner for Christy, Everett, Bill and Paul. Debbie is out of town, so she was unable to join us.

Lost Recipes Cookbook
*I am not sure I will do it every month, but so far I have chosen a particular cookbook to prepare the whole meal from, and this month I chose the cookbook Lost Recipes: Meals To Share With Friends and Family by Marion Cunningham.  This was one of Mom’s cookbooks that Christy had given her as a gift.  I read through and created a menu of items that the author calls lost, primarily because people were no longer cooking in that same kind of home rhythm.   I think Marion Cunningham would be proud of me today, because I was definitely in a home rhythm.

Tomato Aspic
*The first item was Tomato Aspic.  If you are not familiar with this dish, it is kind of like a tomato jello.  I put celery in mine as well.  I used one of Mom’s copper molds, and created this unique recipe.

Meatloaf
*The main dish was meatloaf.  The meatloaf had a special ketchup sauce on top that you made yourself.
*Accompanying the meatloaf were Scalloped Potatoes, Broccoli in Cheese Custard and Spoon Bread. 

Scalloped Potatoes
*The Scalloped Potatoes were made a different way than I am used to preparing them.  I usually create a white sauce that I pour over the layers of potatoes.  This recipe had you layer the potatoes, and on top of each layer you put salt and pepper, flour and dots of butter.  After the final layer, you pour milk over the whole pan and then dot with butter and let it cook.  Then it creates it’s own sauce.

Broccoli in Cheese Custard
*The Broccoli in Cheese Custard was prepared by steaming chopped broccoli, and putting it in a buttered dish.  Then I sprinkled the broccoli with cheddar cheese.  Then a mixture of milk, eggs, salt and pepper was poured over the broccoli and cheese.  The pan was put in another pan of hot water, and baked.  It was a custard type of dish. 


Spoon Bread
*I don’t think I had ever tasted Spoon Bread.  The author describes Spoon Bread as a steaming-hot, feather-light dish of cornmeal mixed with butter, eggs, and milk, lifted by the heat of the oven to a souffle of airiness.  It was very tasty.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
*I got a bit nostalgic with dessert, and made a pineapple upside down cake.  This is the first cake I ever made from scratch, when I was about 10 years old.  This cake begins on the stove in a oven proof pan.  I used my cast iron dutch oven.  Butter and brown sugar and melted together, and then slices of pineapple are laid on the brown sugar mixture, and maraschino cherries are put inside the holes of the rings.  Then you make a batter and spread over the pineapple slices, and bake in the oven.  When it comes out, you let it cool about five minutes, then flip the cake onto a serving platter.  This was the hardest part.  But it was worth it, because it was very delicious.
*It is also the beginning of the week, so it is time for another poem as Christy and I share our 52 Cups of Poems.  You can find my second poem, A Visit to Spokane Grandma’s House, here.

No comments: