2/27/18

Gathering Graces 2/26/2018

*Paul and I took a personal day today and stayed home so we could have an additional day to relax and get some things done at home.  It was so nice to have a leisurely morning.
*I got some writing done, and some brainstorming.  Then I spent some time “purging” the food in my house because I am starting to eat differently on March 1, so I am getting rid of many canned food items, grain products, and sugary products.  So I am in planning mode to get that all ready by Thursday.
*On the way home from Nelson on Sunday, I had downloaded some podcasts for Paul and I to listen to in the car from the Inside Appalachia podcast.  One of the episodes was about stories about strength and resilience of people, and talked about a documentary that was recently produced called Heroin(e), about three women in a West Virginia community who were helping in their own way with the opioid crisis in their community.  I decided to see if it was on Netflix, and didn’t realize it was a Netflix original documentary.  So I watched it last night and it was inspiring and sad at the same time.  The statistics of overdoses in the community due to heroin overdose, and how the death rate has increased was staggering.  And the sad thing is, this opioid crisis has crept into our own community and I hope we don’t start seeing these statistics in the Silver Valley.
*Today at the after school program, I gave the students a chance to talk about their weekend, and one student shared a story about her cousin Jake in Illinois who helped call attention to a  house fire, and the man who lived in the house was rescued.  He was a WWII veteran in his 90’s.  He lost everything in the fire, so the students at this boy’s elementary school (he is a third grader), made the gentleman cards and raised about $2400 to give to him.  It was a very heart warming story that was the final news segment on ABC’s World Wide News on Sunday night.  I told the student I would try and find the story, and sure enough, I found the clip about the story online.  You could tell she was very proud of her cousin!!

No comments: