2/5/18

52 Cups of Poems: Cup Two: A Visit To Spokane Grandma's House

I recently took a trip to Spokane, and it made me think of the countless times growing up we would go to Spokane to visit my Grandma Woolum.  This poem is inspired by the many visits I took to Grandma Woolum's house in Spokane, Washington, and the memories of traveling there.


A Visit To Spokane Grandma’s House


It was Saturday morning and I was climbing into the car, I knew we were going to Grandma’s house.

I sat in the back looking at highway signs and billboards, trying to make it from A to Z playing the alphabet game, I knew we were going to Grandma’s house.

As we drove past the Rose Lake exit, over the Fourth of July Pass, drove along Coeur d’ Alene Lake,  through Post Falls, and by State Line’s Slab Inn, I knew we were going to Grandma’s house.

 

I would see the water tower at the Argonne exit, I knew we were getting close to Grandma’s House.

As we drove past the campus of Spokane Community College, I knew we were getting close to Grandma’s house.

When I saw the dry cleaners on the corner of Nevada and Bridgeport, I knew we were getting close to Grandma’s house.

 

Pulling up to the curb, I saw the snowball tree in bloom, I knew we were at Grandma’s house.

The little black Chihuahua Chi-Chi was barking next door, I knew we were at Grandma’s house.

Mrs. Newman was working in her yard, I knew we were at Grandma’s house.

 

I turned the knob of the wooden front door with the mail slot in the middle, as I went inside Grandma’s house.

I saw the wooden coat rack and the folded up roll-a-way bed, as I went inside Grandma’s house.

I saw a picture of Jesus and His Apostles on the wall, as I went inside Grandma’s house.

 

“Come say hello” and “Give me some sugar”, were things I heard in Grandma’s house.

A pot of green beans boiling on the stovetop, were things I heard in Grandma’s house.

The furnace in the dining room kicking on and off, were things I heard in Grandma’s house.

 

Fresh baked banana bread coming out of the oven, were things I smelled at Grandma’s house.

Listerine and Double Mint Chewing Gum, were things I smelled at Grandma’s house.

Roses, peonies, irises and fresh picked apples, were things I smelled at Grandma’s house.

 

A sense of belonging and comfort, were things I felt at Grandma’s house.

I was someone special that day, were things I felt at Grandma’s house.

Wrapped in a blanket of love and warmth, were things I felt at Grandma’s house.

 

No comments: