2/4/18

Gathering Graces 2/3/2018

*Ever since I saw the trailer for The Post, I have wanted to see it.  Today, Paul and I drove to Coeur d’Alene and enjoyed an early matinee showing of this movie.  As *we drove by the theater to park and as we were walking into the theater, Paul made an observation that this must be the time people our age and older attend movies at this theater, because he felt like we were the youngest couple entering the theater.  As I started looking at the people going in the theater, I think he was right!!  Ha! Ha! 
*The movie was everything I hoped it would be.  It is the story of the Washington Post publisher Katherine Graham, and how she came to the decision to publish The Pentagon Papers in the early 1970’s.  But it is also her story of being a woman in a male dominated field, and how she showed them she was serious about doing her job well.  And it was a story about the role of the newspaper in D.C., and how it was changing.  It was also a story of how the Washington Post went from being a small town newspaper to being a major publication. I have always been fascinated by the Watergate story, and have read many books on the subject.  The release of the Pentagon papers happened right before the Watergate scandal, and actually became a part of the whole Watergate story as well.
*I was a Journalism major and reporter in college, I taught Journalism for a couple of years at a community college, and I was a reporter for our local newspaper.  Maybe this is why I enjoy movies that are about how good newspaper reporting brings a subject to light, and brings about some change in society .  Some of the movies like this that I have enjoyed are All The President’s Men, Spotlight, The Year of Living Dangerously, and The Killing Fields.
*For weeks I have wanted to watch the movie Apollo 13.  We own a VHS copy of the movie, but not a copy on DVD.  I could have rented it on Amazon Prime, but I decided against that because I could probably watch in on our bedroom TV that does have a VCR.  I wanted to watch a movie last night, and started browsing the selections on Netflix, and what do you know....Apollo 13 is now one of the movies offered. Paul was interested in watching with me, so we enjoyed a Tom Hanks double feature, with The Post in the early afternoon, and Apollo 13 in the evening.  They were both very good movies.
*Zoe called this afternoon.  This was the first time she was flying solo doing her taxes, so she had a few questions.  Soon she had her Federal and State taxes e-filed, with a small refund coming back from both of them.  She was relieved.

No comments: