1/27/18

Gathering Graces 1/26/2018

*It was a wonderful day from morning to evening.  I started off my morning meeting my friend Carolyn for breakfast at Sam’s.  Carolyn and I used to try and meet monthly to visit and catch up, but life got in the way, and then her husband had some health complications and she did not feel comfortable leaving his side.  But today he was doing good enough that she felt confident she could leave him for a couple of hours to come have breakfast with me.  I am so glad it worked out.  We had such a great visit, and I look forward to many more in the near future.  It was good.
*When I returned home, I did the final activity in my online class and shared about it in the group.  It was an exercise about relaxing and being still and identifying feelings and emotions that come up in the stillness, and how you deal with those feelings.  It was good.
*I turned on some classical music, grabbed my knitting needles, and knitted and let my mind wander and think about a variety of topics.  Then I would stop, do a little online research, then back to knitting.  Then I would continue to think, brainstorm, write things in a notebook, then research more if needed.  It was good.
*For Christmas I gave Paul “The Twelve Dates of Christmas”.  Our first date night was tonight, and we drove to downtown Spokane and stopped in Starbucks and had coffee, then went down the road a few doors and had dinner at a fondue restaurant called The Melting Pot.  Paul had received a gift card from this place a few years ago from his secret pal at work, and finally made plans to use it. It was good.
*Eating at The Melting Pot is not just a meal, but a dining experience.  You are served four courses, including a cheese fondue, a salad, an entree and a dessert fondue.  We started our with the Wisconsin Cheese Trio fondue, accompanied by bread, apples and raw vegetables to dip in the fondue. It was good.

Wisconsin Trio Cheese Fondue

Next up was salad.  Paul enjoyed a Spinach and Bleu Cheese salad, and I had the house salad with sweet and tangy dressing.  It was good.
Spinach Bleu Cheese Salad

The House Salad with Sweet and Tangy Dressing

We each chose our own entree.  Paul chose Surf and Turf, with Filet Minon and Lobster Tail and Wild Mushroom Sacchetti.  I chose the Fondue Delight, with Filet Minon, Lobster Tail, Chicken, Shrimp and Wild Mushroom Sacchetti.  This was all cooked in a fondue pot full of seasoned vegetable broth.  Then there were six different dipping sauces to dip your meat into.  My favorite was the Yellow Curry Sauce. It was good.

Our entrees....Surf and Turf and Fondue Delight

For our dessert, we chose the Dark and Dulce chocolate fondue, a combination of dark chocolate, dulce de leche and sea salt.  To accompany each course, we each ordered a flight of wine, so each court we were served a small 3 oz. pour of four different wines.  It was quite delicious and a fun experience.   It was good.

Dark and Dulce Chocolate Fondue

*Another part of the experience I enjoyed about last night was being in a city.  I enjoyed sitting in the Starbucks on Main Street talking with Paul, and watching the people sitting or coming in and out of the coffee shop.  I loved that we all looked different.  Everyone didn’t look like me.  It liked it when the young college-aged man next to us seemed to trust us enough to ask us to watch his laptop while he went and used the restroom.  I loved seeing and listening to the busker play guitar on the street as we walked by.  I even enjoyed being approached by a gentleman who asked us if we had fifty cents.  It was different from my hometown.  It had a different vibe that made me want to come back to Spokane on a more regular basis to experience more of that city feeling.  It was good.

No comments: