1/19/18

Gathering Graces 1/18/2018

*I started creating a to do list of things I want to accomplish this spring.  It is turning into a very large list.  But I need something to help keep me focused.  I need something I can look to for direction.  I need something that will divert me from sitting on the couch each night as I continue to watch Friends.
*January has been an interesting month for me personally.  I have slowed my pace down. I am not as busy doing activities, but I think there is a lot going in in my life internally. I found this great quote from Rosalie Muller Wright, who was a former editor of Sunset Magazine.  As I read this quote, I could relate personally to what it is saying.
"January is the quietest month in the garden.  ...  But just because it looks quiet doesn't mean that nothing is happening.  The soil, open to the sky, absorbs the pure rainfall while microorganisms convert tilled-under fodder into usable nutrients for the next crop of plants.  The feasting earthworms tunnel along, aerating the soil and preparing it to welcome the seeds and bare roots to come."
I feel like this quote is describing perfectly what is going on with me right now.  Even though my life outwardly looks quieter, there is a lot going on in my mind, in my soul and in my spirit.  My “soil” is absorbing all kinds of nutrients.  My soil is being aerated by things I am reading, things I am writing, things I am meditating upon, things I am hearing.  I am preparing for a spring awakening, when these dormant seeds and bare roots will start to blossom.  Some have been dormant within me for quite a while.  I am looking forward to seeing what blooms.
*I continue enjoying working with and talking to the seniors, as they go through the process of getting ready for college.  This is such a conflicting time for many of them.  Because they are finishing up a time in their lives that is safe, secure, familiar.  Yet they are planning for a new adventure, one that is both exciting and a little scary, because it is full of unknowns.  I just try and keep them on track as much as possible as they look toward the future, and try and keep as much of the anxiety they are feeling at bay.
*Paul and I are planning a weekend get-a-way in February, and things are falling nicely into place.  I think the last time we were away together was in November 2013 when we went to Denver for the Simply Jesus Gathering.  It has been even longer since we have gone away just to get away...no conference, no other reason, but just to get away to have fun together.  I think it is about time!

No comments: