4/9/14

Running

I really surprised myself this morning.

My normal routine in the morning is going on a walk with my friend Nikki for about a half an hour or so.  When the weather is nice, we do a loop around Kellogg.

When the weather gets snowy and icy, we walk inside Kellogg Middle School.

Last week I suggested to Nikki that we start going to the track and running some.  She has started running to get ready for Bloomsday in Spokane, and I felt like adding some running to our morning routine.

I didn't have high expectations today.  I can't even remember the last time I did any running for any length of time, not on the treadmill.  I had been walking fairly consistently, and Paul and I were doing the Fit in 90 DVD's, so I had been being somewhat active.

My true expectation today was to jog a lap, then walk some, then jog again, then walk.

But I exceeded my expectations.  I started jogging, (very slowly, but it was jogging), and made it around once, twice, three times, four times......eight times!!  I couldn't believe it.  I jogged two miles this morning, and, if I had more time, I bet I could have gone even longer.



Back when I actually did run consistently, my kind of running was slow and far.  I remember those Sunday afternoon runs in Meridian when I would run for 1-2 hours.

My favorite race to compete in was the half-marathon.

But that was a long time ago.  Right now, I am just thrilled that (as my sister-in-law Laurie often says), "I thank God for legs that can run." 

I have no idea how long I ran, time wise, because we didn't time ourselves.  Which I think was good.  I think just jogging around the track as far as I could was good.

So, it will be interesting to see how it feels the next time we head to the track.  I am really excited now to get back to running.

And beating my expectations this morning was an incredible way to start the day!!

2 comments:

Ben Blessing said...

Awesome! Keep up the good work. My dad started running again a couple years ago. Fingers crossed, we'll get him to finish his first 100 miler this year.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement Ben. I remember your dad running when we lived in Meridian. He used to do Robie Creek, didn't he?
Wow, a 100 miler, I can't even imagine. But then I ran 16 miles once, and there was a time I would have thought I could never do that, either. Go Mike.....reach that 100 miler goal!!