4/21/14

NYC

I have really been missing New York City.



But not for the reasons most people want to return.

I miss New York City because of the different ways we helped people.

I miss the Manhattan Citadel Salvation Army in Harlem.  Each time I see Lt. Steve's Facebook or Twitter post about something happening there, I long to return. 

When I see Captain Antonio tweet a Bible verse, I remember he and his beautiful family, and singing with him and Brother Oliver on the street, sharing Hope with the passers by.



Last month when there was the gas explosion in Harlem, the Manhattan Citadel was one of the places that stepped up and helped those people, providing them with food and shelter and comfort.  Oh, how I longed to be there, working alongside them during that time.


When I see posts on Facebook and Twitter about City Harvest, I remember our time in the pouring rain, gathering thousands of pounds of fresh produce to help feed the people in New York City.



I remember the afternoon spent at the NYC Common Pantry, filling bags full of food for those in need, to help them make it through another week.

And I remember sitting with people clicking through the food choices on the Ipad, and being able to communicate with the Hispanic population, since the choices were displayed both in English and Spanish.

I miss sitting in the park across from the Jackie Robinson Projects to watch the children play during Kid's Club, and I got to visit with one of the mothers for an hour or so, and I heard the story of her life growing up in Harlem.

Times Square was electrifying.  Broadway was unbelievable.  Madison Avenue was another world.  Central Park was beautiful.

But the places in NYC that touched my heart the most were the times we were reaching out, and helping others, talking with other, listening to others, and hearing their stories.  Sharing our faith with others.

If I could, I would spend my whole summer, sleeping on the floor of a Salvation Army building and spending my time serving others.

This would be my ultimate summer vacation.






No comments: