4/8/14

Dreams

Dreams are a funny thing.

Last night, for instance, I know I had strange dreams, but I don't really remember any of them.

Yet there are dreams from my childhood I remember quite vividly.

One of the earliest of my dreams may sound a bit strange, but dreams tend to be a bit strange.  When I was about 6 or 7, I had a dream that Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street kidnapped me and put me on a boat.  I remember being stuck in a type of elevator door, that was horizontal on the floor, instead of verticle on the wall.  And, I remember a case of Campbell's soup being knocked over, and I was sucked into the cardboard box.  Yes.....kind of weird.

And fascinating.

Fascinating that the dream has stayed with me over 40 years.

I remember another dream being chased through a building by someone with a gun, trying to shoot me.  I think those happen often.

I don't know about you, but I have certain "stress" dreams, dreams that I have when I am under stress.  My usually involve missing a final test.

Sometimes I will dream about being back in my sorority in college. That has happened more than once.

When I doze, I often have dreams where I can't open my eyes.  This must happen when I am only sleeping lightly.

I know you can look up meanings to things in your dreams, but I don't ever do that when I have interesting dreams.

I have friends who have dreams and they believe the dreams are telling them something.

I do believe that.

And I find it fascinating.

I rarely have nightmares.  I think I have had them over the years, but I can't remember that last time I had a nightmare.

When we were first married, Paul used to have a dream that would disturb his sleep.  I could tell by the changes in his breathing when he was having the dream.  One day he shared with me what was happening in the dream, and through sharing the dream, he figured out what the dream was about.  Once he figured it out, the dream never returned. 

Fascinating.

Our mind is an interesting thing.  It produces images and feelings and emotions even as we sleep.  I like that we can't control our dreams....they just happen.

I believe my dreams are always in color.  I have talked to others who claim their dreams are in black and white.

Well, my eyes are getting heavy, and it is time to go to sleep.  I hope I dream some good dreams tonight, and remember them as well.

1 comment:

Nita Jo said...

I enjoyed this post, but I'm sure you knew I would. My nights have been filled with dreams the past couple of weeks. Some I remember distinctly and others just the feeling it evoked.

I know what you mean about childhood dreams that stay with you. I have a couple very distinct ones that stayed with me for years. I also dream in color, though I have had a few in black and white sometimes with a tinge of color. Funny things, our dreams, and yes... fascinating! :)