12/8/17

Gathering Graces 12/7/2017

*Shoshone Funeral Home here in Kellogg had a Candelight Memorial Service tonight, and invited people to come and remember loved ones who had passed away. It was a beautiful service. Pastor Ken Bartle shared some words about remembrance, and Paul and I were asked to sing. We sang the songs Heirloom and Softly and Tenderly. The director of the funeral home, Debbie Mikesell, shared about the candles that were being lit, and said, “As we light these five candles in memory of and in honor of you, we light one for our grief, one for our courage, one for our memories, one for our love, and one for our hope.”
*We had a nice mix of people at our table at the service last night. Class of 1981 classmate Rayma Shields and her husband Jim sat next to us. Rayma’s mother also recently passed away. Rayma’s brother Dennis and his wife were also at our table, along with Patti Hei and her sister Julie Murchinson.
*Earlier in the year, Paul and I sang the song Heirloom at a memorial service, and members of that family attended last night. I gave the daughter a big hug, and we talked about grief, and how shedding tears through the grieving process is so good. I think the ability to sing last night and bring some comfort to others who have lost loved ones was quite a healing experience for me.
*I also got a laugh from another person who attended the service, Nancy Callaghan Kosonen. After the service she came up to me and said that all she could think of when I was up there singing was when I dressed up like Elvis Presley and sang for a P.E.O. event. I got a kick out of that comment!!
*After last night’s dress rehearsal, I am feeling good about tonight’s opening night. I look forward to a weekend of spreading Christmas cheer to members of our community. And it will be nice to finally have an audience to perform to!!
*I hope to get the house looking Christmasy this weekend. We need to go get a tree, and put it up, and start getting the inside and outside of the house decorated. It is going to be a busy weekend, but my goal is to get the house looking a lot like Christmas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you! Sending you *HUGS* this season. May peace envelope you.

Unknown said...

Love you! Sending you *HUGS* this season. May peace envelope you.