6/28/14

Barbra Streisand

No other woman vocalist had an influence on me more growing up than Barbra Streisand.

I remember listening to her sing "People" on one of our record albums and singing along.

I had many of the soundtracks from the movies she was in, and knew every song on every album by heart.

The one I remember the most was "A Star is Born".  It came out when I was in junior high.  I loved the song "Evergreen".  I sang "Everything" with my friend Tina in our 9th grade talent show.  We called ourselves "Sugar and Spice". 

In high school, I sang "With One More Look At You", from the same movie at a variety show at KHS.

In high school, the movie "The Main Event" came out, and I bought the soundtrack to it.

In college, the soundtrack I listened to over and over was "Yentl".



I also enjoyed the music from "Funny Girl".  In the Miss Kellogg pageant my senior year, I sang "I'm The Greatest Star".  Three years later, I sang the same song in the University of Idaho talent show and received second place.  It was a fun song to sing.  Recently, I revived it one more time in a show at the Sixth Street Melodrama.  Another song from "Funny Girl" I sang once in a Kelly's Alley Revue was "Second Hand Rose".

As I looked over the many albums Miss Streisand has produced, I am amazed at how many I remember either owning myself, or listening to ones that my sister Christy owned. 

I'm not sure what it was about her that really drew me into her music.  Maybe it was because I could sing her range.  Maybe it was her film presence.  Maybe it was because she was ahead of her time in many ways, and broke many barriers in film.

I don't know.  All I do know is I have enjoyed her as a vocalist and actress, and she has had a large influence on me growing up.

No comments: