1/28/17

Gathering Graces 1/27/2017

*The day began with this glorious sunrise I captured from my backyard.  
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
*Mom had to have some blood work done at the clinic uptown, so I picked her up, and we headed to the clinic.  So fun to say hello to Katie, Paula and Sue while I was there.  Then it was off to Yokes so Mom could pick up a prescription, and we could both do some grocery shopping.  The parking lot has been a little treacherous at Yoke’s with all the ice and snow, but today it was bare and clear, so Mom had no problem walking to the front door of Yokes behind her shopping cart.  We had success with our grocery purchases, and we headed back to Mom’s so she could finally get some breakfast after her fasting she had done for her blood draw.  As she finished up breakfast, Lisa arrived to clean Mom’s house, the mail arrived, and it was time for me to head home. 
*I had baked a chicken earlier in the week, and, after baking it, I kept the carcass and meat so I could make chicken noodle soup for dinner.  So today, I made chicken stock from scratch, throwing in the chicken carcass, onions, carrots, celery, and herbs and let it simmer for about four hours.  I texted my brother Bill to tell him he was my inspiration for making the stock.  Then I let it cool a bit, strained it in a colander, and used some of it to make Chicken Noodle Soup to take to Mom’s for dinner.  It was delicious.  The recipe I used called for making a roux to add to the soup to thicken it up.  Instead of the roux, and added coconut milk at the end.  It gave it just the right amount of sweetness and coconut flavor that wasn’t too overpowering.  I also added frozen “Reames” homestyle egg noodles to the soup, that made it even more delicious. (Thank you Keri for commenting on this in one of your posts.  I remembered, and tried them, and loved them.)   Then I whipped up some homemade Buttermilk biscuits that turned out nice and fluffy.  I grabbed some salad mix and cherry tomatoes once we got to Mom’s house to add to the meal, and dinner was a success!! 

No comments: