1/22/17

Gathering Graces 1/21/2017


*Paul and I hosted the Sixth Street Melodrama Board Retreat at our home today. What a wonderful group of people we have on the board, and we had a great day of planning the upcoming year and talking about better ways to manage the theater and ways to provide more live entertainment for our community. A wonderful way to spend they day with an awesome group of caring people. But we are looking for volunteers and board members. If that sounds like something you want to do, let me know!!

*Today people from around the world participated in the Women’s March. I was there with them in spirit. If we had not had the previous commitment of the board retreat, I would have either been in Spokane or Moscow marching. I had friends across the world participating in marches, and for each and every one of them it was a positive and unifying experience. It was interesting looking at comments about the march. People puzzled at to why this is important. People upset because this was happening. People not thinking it mattered, or would do any good. I followed some very good and constructive threads where people stated their opinions without putting down others. So it really made me think why I wanted to participate in this march? You can see my answer on my blog post here. I thought it was a bit too lengthy to share in this note. God Bless You women who united and were a voice for whatever it was you were concerned about. It made a difference.

*The evening was spent watching two great movies on Netflix. The first was “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”. This is a movie based on a John LeCarre novel about a British spy, played by Gary Oldman, who tries to find out of there is a mole within MI6. What I liked about the movie is what some people probably wouldn’t like about the movie. There were a lot of scenes with no dialogue. They were just characters walking or doing ordinary things, but I liked these parts of the film. And I thought Gary Oldman did a fantastic job as Mr. Smiley. He was nominated for an Academy Award for this role. Now I may have to read the book. Later I found a documentary called “Young@Heart”, which is a British documentary about a chorus of senior citizens from Massachusetts who cover songs by Jimi Hendrix, Coldplay, Sonic Youth, and other unexpected musicians. It follows them for about 5-6 weeks as they practice for an upcoming concert in their hometown. It is a delightful film, with much laughter and much tears. But if you want to watch a feel good show about some real people who are forever young, watch this documentary. It can’t help but touch your heart.

No comments: