4/26/09

My Summer Dream Journey

Here is our latest sibling assignment that I posed to my siblings.

Write about a journey, trip, or place you would like to visit this summer, and why.

A trip I have always wanted to take, at least in the last eight or nine years or so, is a boat ride from the Cataldo Mission landing to Harrison.

The problem is, I don’t have a boat, and have no way of even knowing how to get someone to take me on this ride. Can you rent a boat? I have no idea.

Part of the reason I want to take this trip along the main fork of the Coeur d’Alene River is to catch a small glimpse of what it was like traveling along this river in the late 1800’s, when the boat would travel from Coeur d’Alene Lake to the Cataldo Mission landing and drop off passengers. This happens in the book I am writing, and I would like to get a good visual about what this may have been like.

Another reason is to enjoy the beauty of the scenery. From the parts of this journey I have seen either from the road or from the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes bike trail, it is very beautiful, and I want to experience it close up.

A few years ago, PKR and I took a cruise from Harrison a ways up the river. It was before the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes had officially opened, but they were doing a little promotion for that part of the trail close to Harrison, and I went and covered it for the newspaper. It was a beautiful trip.

So, someday, maybe this summer, I hope to fulfill this dream trip. Some people’s dream trip are traveling Hawaii, or Mexico, or a Caribbean cruise. Not me. All I want is a boat ride on the river.


6 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

Yes, you need to do this trip. It is especially beautiful to visit the lakes you can only get to by boat. I have done this trip twice. I don't think you want to rent a boat, but I went once with your neighbor T.S. and I am sure he would be the driver! Just find someone that has a boat and do it. It is well worth it. Neighbor over the fence perhaps? JR?
I am looking forward to the St. Joe Cruise this summer.
I love your new look on your blog. What is the name of your background? I tried to find it, but couldn't. I may have to copy you! Happy Sunday.

Dawn said...

Hey there Silver Valley Girl, your wish is our command! We have a boat and have taken the journey countless times. I never get tired of the beauty of it! Say the word! (We will have to wait til the dock comes out from under the water :)) at the mission, but we would be happy to take you anytime!

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

IEG--My background is called Springcicle. I found it under free backgrounds, then clicked on Spring.

MM--Wow!! Thanks so much for the invite. We would love to take the trip. Let us know when it will work, and we'll make a date!! HOW FUN!!!

Cedar Street Kid said...

That would be a fabulous trip. I have often wondered what that trip was like in the old days. Hope you have a wonderful time.

MarmiteToasty said...

That sounds like it would be wonderful....

One of these days Im gonna just jump on an aeroplane to the top east state in doodleland and drive all the way around the edge along the coasts until I get to the top of the other side....

x

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

CSK--I'll be sure and take lots of pictures to share.

MT--That would be a great trip, too. Except you would have to drive a little inland to meet all us Idaho folks here in North Idaho. We'd welcome you with open arms!!