3/1/07

Silver Linings--Signs of Spring Arrive in my Corner of the Silver Valley

Even though I woke up to about 4 inches of snow this morning in my yard, when I was pulling into my garage this afternoon, this pleasant picture greeted me in the flower bed in front of my house.




There is something about seeing that first crocus that should bring hope to the heart of everyone who sees it. With it comes with the promise of spring. As I went outside to take in the beauty of this little bit of sunshine, I noticed other green shoots pushing their way up toward the soil.

It was one year ago that we purchased this house. We brought these bulbs over from our other house and planted them last fall. Now they are making their way toward the light to give us a splash of color and hope in our current cold and dark wintery world.

The crocus reminds me of the verses in Hebrews 11: 1-3 that say:

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible."

Faith is like that bulb I planted last fall, that was buried in the earth, not seen all winter. Then, at the right time, during the right conditions, it burst forth as a lovely splash of color.

Often we go through, cold, wintery, dormant times in our life, where it seems like all our hope and faith is gone. Everything bright and sunny is buried somewhere inside of our dark souls, and we feel like the conditions of our life will never be right for our faith and hope to be restored. But then, all of a sudden, the conditions are right, someone or something causes a stir inside our soul, and we realize there is an end to the darkness of our own personal winter. Our own green shoots start reaching toward the sun, and we begin to bloom once again.

During these times, I realize there is a God who cares about me, and helps restore hope and faith in my life once again.

I found this poem about the first crocus from the National Catholic Register. It was a perfect poem to accompany my discovery today.

The Crocus

In March amid the blow and cold,

up through the layered leaves dark mold

a golden crocus blooms alone.

Distilled from earth, rain, snow and sun,

appointment kept, the cycle run

a Chalice lifts and winter's gone.


--Sr. Martha Wickham, ASC Red Bud, Ill.

Take hope in the fact that winter will end, and spring is just around the corner.

2 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

But when will that winter end? More snow here today also. Amazing picture of the crocus. I can't find mine under the doggie doo doo and pine needles. The scripture was a perfect addition.

Mommy Dearest said...

When we got our first house, I planted row after row of crocus bulbs - white and purple and yellow. I really wish I had planted some here last fall. It was always so encouraging to see those crocus' popping through the frozen ground and knowing sunny days were on the way.