4/1/19

Gathering Graces 3/31/2019

*How did it get to be the last day of March?  March seemed to fly by this year.  But with it came the official beginning of spring, sunshine and flowers blooming.  So I will take all of that and enjoy March coming to an end.
*Paul asked if I would sit and play the cajon box drum at church this morning during worship service.  He was playing guitar along with Tim Arnhold and Amy Arnhold was on vocals, and it was fun to do something a little different during the worship singing.  Paul chose some hymns to sing, and I loved how the four of us easily fall into wonderful harmonies as we sing those songs.  I love singing with our worship team.
*When I started hearing about the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, I had no idea what it was about.  Then I started talking to people who had seen the movie, and it was explained to me it was a movie about the British rock band Queen, and more specifically the lead singer Freddie Mercury, and their story from their formation as a band in 1970 to the Live Aid Concert in 1985.  I love watching movies, whether fictionalized dramatizations or documentaries about musical groups, and how those developed their sound and became the group I knew growing up.  Some of the parts I loved best about this movie was how it showed how Queen didn’t want to be defined by any particular sound, and how they always wanted to push the boundaries of making new music.  I enjoyed seeing how certain songs came into being.  For me personally, I was surprised at the decision to make this a PG-13 movie.  For me, it was refreshing to watch a movie that was mostly free of swearing and cursing throughout, and sex was eluded to, but not shown in graphic detail.  Instead it was more about the story of the music, and the band’s relationship with one another.  I don’t care of all the details may not be accurate.  It is a great story, one that was being told as I was growing up, and being influenced by their music in high school and beyond. 
*Their music is still influencing new listeners.  For example, last Wednesday when I was at Kellogg High School, and had the privilege of participating in a fire drill, a group of KHS students started singing the song Bohemian Rhapsody out in the parking lot as they waiting to go back inside.  I have many memories associated with Queen songs. During my senior year, when our boys basketball team was in the state championship game and lost the final seconds, the pep band from Madison High School started playing  Another One Bites the Dust.  If we had won, our pep band probably would have been ready to play We Are The Champions. I am not sure how this came about, but April and myself at some point during our senior year took the lyrics to Crazy Little Thing Called Love and changed the words to fit one of our classmates names, now singing the song Crazy Little Lee ElyIn fact, we resurrected it and sang it at our 10 year class reunion.  When our family all had roles in the play The Miser at the Sixth Street Theater, back in the spring of 2007, we would all drive to the theater for rehearsal each night, and our routine was to play Bohemian Rhapsody on our drive to Wallace, and, of course, do the Wayne’s World head banging part each time we listened.  As I watched the movie last night, these memories and more associated with these songs came flooding back.  Yes,  I recommend you watch this movie. And, if you grew up in the 70’s and 80’s, I am sure the music will evoke some special memories of your own.

No comments: