11/19/08

David E. Kelley, You Really Make Me Think

In my experience, most of the things you can watch on television are really bad.

That is one of the reasons we don't pay for cable television at our house. It just isn't a good investment of our time or money.

But my mother is good at taping a few shows we do enjoy watching, and we watch them at our leisure throughout the week.

I usually enjoy most of these selected shows, and every once in a while I get to the end of one of these shows, and I say WOW!!

That is what happened the other night when I watched an episode of "Boston Legal". The episode was called "Roe" and was aired on November 10th. The description of the episode says:

Jerry Espenson insists on defending himself in court when he's accused of aggravated assault after a run-in with a bully. Meanwhile, Alan Shore and Shirley Schmidt try to help an underaged pregnant girl obtain a judicial by-pass for an abortion.

The Jerry Espenson storyline was okay. But it was how the show's creator David E. Kelley handled the abortion issue that left me at the end of the episode saying, WOW!!

The writers of this series took this very complicated, complex issue and, in an hour long episode, explored many of the nuances of this issue, and really made me think about what a fraction of some of the issues and feelings are for people in this country.

It was interesting going to the message board at abc.com regarding this episode, and the reaction from some people. It got Pro Life and Pro Choice people upset. Personally, I thought it explored both sides, and really didn't push one thing down your throat, but showed how it can affect people in different ways.

I thought is was very well written, and thought provoking, and I'm glad I was able to watch such a controversial topic handled this way.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Boston Legal is one of my favorite shows. (I work for a law office as a secretary - and in no way is BL resembling any law office, anywhere!). I just love it - it is so totally irreverant at times, touching on many subjects that are taboo. But always there is a message in there - about constitutional rights, being an American, gay rights, women's rights, and yes, teen's rights. Good critique on the abortion episode.

Go Figure said...

Jeanie Spokane makes the point I was going to make regarding the practice of law. Boston Legal may raise some interesting issues--actually the only one I have seen is the abortion one and I had to get up and leave because it was so ludicrous on all points from a legal/law office perspective and dynamics. I will say, contrary to Shatner's character, that at one time I was aware of a law firm (real one) where guns (real ones) were the rule of day because of death threats. No HA! there.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Jeannie--Boston Legal has actually brought to light some issues I didn't realize were out there. Yes, it is all you described, and I will miss it. We have the first season on DVD, and will probably start collecting more seasons soon.

GF--Yes, I like that they bring up issues, but I'm sure the legal/law part of this show is ludicrous. But the part I enjoy is the character development, and how they interact. It is one of the few shows I find entertaining.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Jeannie--Boston Legal has actually brought to light some issues I didn't realize were out there. Yes, it is all you described, and I will miss it. We have the first season on DVD, and will probably start collecting more seasons soon.

GF--Yes, I like that they bring up issues, but I'm sure the legal/law part of this show is ludicrous. But the part I enjoy is the character development, and how they interact. It is one of the few shows I find entertaining.