10/8/08

Things I Like About This Election


I got a new Norah Jones not too late CD, (which is awesome by the way) and she has a song on it called "My Dear Country". It is a very good song, and it made me start thinking about this election. I don't think the election brings fear to me, as this song suggests. And, with less than 30 days to go before the election, lots of fear it being communicated. Well, I'm going to break the mold.


I think this election brought many positive things.


Ten Things I Have Enjoyed About This Election:

1. I have been more interested in finding out how the candidates stand on issues than ever before.
2. I have enjoyed watching the country finally break some barriers in the nomination process.
3. I have seen young people become more interested in voting in this election.
4. My oldest daughter gets to vote in her first election this year.
5. I enjoyed the Vice Presidential debate. (And I enjoyed the SNL parody of it as well. I'm glad we've enjoyed some good humor moments through this election process as well.)
6. I like close elections. It is much more interesting when you know it isn't going to be a landslide. I like that at this point, it could go either way.
7. I like that, after thoughtful consideration, I have looked a both candidates and their views, and decided to support the Obama-Biden ticket. A big determining factor was their education plan. I like their's better.
8. I enjoy reading about the candidates from various points of view. I receive both conservative, liberal and moderate information about the candidate, and, depending on what you read, sometimes it seems like there are three different Obamas and three different McCain's running for office. It just depends on your persepective.
9. I like the fact that domestic and foriegn policy issues may finally wake some people up and they make take the time to vote on November 4th.
10. And, just as Norah Jones ends her song with these words, I love the things that you've given me, And most of all that I am free, To have a song that I can sing, On election day, I'm glad I live in the United States, where I am free and can "sing my song" or cast my votes on election day. And I hope you exercise that right as well.


You can listen to Norah Jones song below.




4 comments:

Nita Jo said...

Great Norah Jones song! This is the first year I did not vote Republican. It was about issues with me also, and a desire for a new direction. I voted yesterday by absentee ballot... Now it's sit and wait to see. I also love a close race. I hope it brings all voters out!

Cedar Street Kid said...

Thanks for being an informed voter. Some people just vote based upon silly things. Some will vote for Obama just because he is black. Some will vote for McCain only because he is not black. We need to know the issues and who is the best man for the good of the whole country.

Cedar Street Kid said...

Thanks for being an informed voter. Some people just vote based upon silly things. Some will vote for Obama just because he is black. Some will vote for McCain only because he is not black. We need to know the issues and who is the best man for the good of the whole country.

Cedar Street Kid said...

sorry for posting twice-woops!