10/23/08

A Bit Disappointed with "Phantom"

This afternoon the family attended the matinee performance of "Phantom of the Opera" in Spokane.

In anticipation of this musical, I never wanted to watch the movie, or know too much about the production, because I had heard how spectacular it was and I wanted to be surprised.

Maybe my sights were set a bit too high, because I wasn't that impressed. Oh, the production was wonderful, and set designs, the costumes.

But what I like most about musicals is how they affect my emotions. I like to laugh hard, cry, make a connection to the characters.

I made no connection today. I felt the same the whole way through the production.

It is not that the actors weren't talented. They were fine singers and actors. I just didn't make a connection with the story or the characters. I felt no empathy for the Phantom. He didn't seem like a "tortured" character to me. I never felt much romantic connection between Christine and Roaul either.

And there were parts of the production I was a bit lost in what was going on.

But, I'm not going to discount it, and tell people never to go see it. I'm going to give it another try sometime in the future. And maybe I'll read the book, and listen to the soundtrack and become more famliar with the overall story, then maybe the connection will come.

We all kind of had the same reaction in our family. It was okay, but not the spectacular production we expected. The Princess and Z2 both like the movie version much better.

3 comments:

Nita Jo said...

Oh, that's too bad. There are some very moving songs, but I have to say I felt like that with the movie.

I think I was more involved with the old B&W non-musical film than I was with the movie musical (of course I was a kid and it was probably pretty cheesy... may have to see that one again just for laughs).

Maybe it was my mood the day I watched. I finally watched the 2004 Pride and Predjudice. I loved it, and I didn't expect to as I'm very fond of the old movie version.

Jeanie said...

I loved it. This was my second time seeing the Broadway version. I also watched the movie - which I thought was excellent. Each time I watch it, I glean a little more about it. I get more of the "anguish" for the Phantom. However, in all three versions (two Broadway and the recent movie), the one scene where Christine passionately kisses the demasked and defeated Phantom - well I am totally confused at that.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

jeaniespokane--

Oh, how I wish I could say the same. My daughters both loved the movie, so we're going to rent it and watch it. But, like I said in my post, I'm not giving up on it. I'll give it another try. It may have just been an off day. I'm so glad it moved you!!

(Yeah, the kiss was a bit weird.)