9/1/14

Labor Day Marks The End of Summer on My Calendar

By the calendar on the wall, summer isn't officially over until September 21.  But when you have kids in school, or work for a school, around here summer begins Memorial Day Weekend, and ends Labor Day weekend.

So, school officially starts tomorrow, and summer ended today.

And what a summer it was!!  I couldn't have asked for a better three months. 

And this weekend was a wonderful way to end the summer, too.  Hiking, resting and enjoying friends and family. 

Today, we invited some friends and family over for a BBQ, and it was a beautiful day for an outdoor gathering.

Then I took a tour of my garden after planting some flowers, and checked out my vegetable garden, too.

Here are some of the highlights from the day:

Delicious food was served this afternoon, including steak and chicken kabobs, corn on the cob, grilled veggies ( most right out of my garden), grilled potatoes, salmon dip, shrimp and cocktail sauce, stuffed celery, plums, and bread.  Yum! Yum!




After dinner, tea, coffee and Piroulines were served.



Paul brought out the accordion, and several tried it out.



 We really hoped Jimmy would play the accordion today.  Maybe another time.



Then we took a tour of the gardens.  First a look at the flowers.
 Planted some Cone Flowers and Mums in the front flower bed to add some fall colors.





 These petunias got so big in the pot between the two garage doors.  I love petunias.






 Mums were placed back by the window box as well.




Then took a look at the vegetable gardens. The sunflowers look so great in the raised beds.
 Not a very good year for tomatoes.  Need to try something else next year. 

 The zucchini and yellow squash or growing like crazy right now.


 I hope I get some green beans before the frost kills them off.

 
Goodbye Summer of 2014.  You were good for my body, soul and spirit, and I have grown much through the months, hopefully into more of the person God created me to be.
 
 
 


1 comment:

Nita Jo said...

This blog post was great reading! It gave me that warm, cozy feeling. Loved seeing Paul with the accordion! The food, the garden, everything was lovely. What a nice way to wrap up your summer!