9/7/14

All Good Gifts Around Us

Today I was given the word "Expectancy" and told to write my own fortune cookie message based on this word.  Here was my response....


As the summer season turns to autumn, I wait with expectancy how this new season in my life will unfold, and what fruits I will bear during this time of change.

This time of change.  As the days become shorter and the nights become longer.  The temperature begins to cool.  Shorts and t-shirts turn into sweaters and jeans. 

And my life on the whole is changing.  All three daughters are in college.  More of my life is spent at home with Paul (which I absolutely LOVE).  Time is going much more slowly.  The pace of life is slowing, much as it does when summer turns to autumn, then turns to winter. 

This is also the season of harvest.  And I am at a point in my life where I want to see what my next "fruitful harvest" is going to be.  What will this next season of my life bring?

As we move into September, it is harvest time, and, as a gardener, I am picking the fruits of my labors over the summer growing season.

One of my favorite musicals I have seen on stage and performed on stage is "Godspell".  One person told me that watching "Godspell" was like watching "The Message" Bible being acted out on stage.  The first time I saw it was at Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington when I was in Junior High.  My brother's first wife took me to see it, and I remember buying the Broadway cast album, and listened to it, and knew practically every song by heart from the time I was 12 or 13-years old.


Then in the fall of 2008, Joy Persoon decided to direct the musical "Godspell" at the Sixth Street Theater.  I had an incredible experience doing this musical.  Here is our amazing cast...



One of my favorite songs from this play is "All Good Gifts".  Here is the song:



I think every fall I sing the words to this song.  It is such a great reminder to me of all the wonderful and beautiful gifts God shares with each and every one of us.  And, as much as we love and appreciate the gifts God gives to us, it is also important to have a humble, thankful heart as well.

We plow the fields and scatter the good seed on the land..
But it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand..
He sends us snow in winter, the warmth to swell the grain...
The breezes and the sunshine, and soft refreshing rain...


All good gifts around us
Are sent from Heaven above
So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love...


We thank thee then, O Father, for all things bright and good,
The seedtime and the harvest, our life our health our food,
No gifts have we to offer for all thy love imparts
But that which thou desirest, our humble thankful hearts!


All good gifts around us
Are sent from Heaven above..
So thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord for all his love..

I really wanna thank you Lord.

I am at a good time in my life right now.

A good season.

I have a beautiful family, a great job, a wonderful church family, the best friends anyone could ask for, and the most wonderful husband in the world.

So now the question that I keep pondering at this bountiful season in my life is......

What can I do to help those around me?  What direction do I go?  I know there are many, many needs out in this world...but where can I be of help the most?

That is the answer I am seeking.

I pray the answer will become clear soon.

No comments: