12/10/08

Xmas--Xtreme Mellow Apathetic Syndrome

I've come down with Xmas---Xtreme Mellow Apathetic Syndrome.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my motivation level is about a 2.

I finally got the tree decorated last night. But nothing else got done.

Wait, I am very motivated to sit in the chair in the living room and sleep. So I guess I'm not completely apathetic.

I think I'm weird, and sometimes don't know how to deal with time. Now that the play is over, and I don't have a lot going on, it seems like I have all the time in the world, so then I become the dreaded PROCRASTINATOR.

Instead of taking advantage of the extra time I have, so things don't get so stressful as Christmas draws nearer, I lay around, looking at a sea of unopened boxes of Christmas decorations, knowing full well they will not open themselves and their contents fly around the house until they find the perfect place to sit and look pretty. (Where is Samantha Stevens when you need her....if only I could wiggle my nose, it would all be done!!)

When I was walking this morning with my walking buddy NR, I told her I think I don't want to do anything because the pressure isn't on yet. I have TOO much time, so I won't do what needs to get done.

So, I sit here, in my living room, surrounded by boxes and decorations crying out to me to be released from the captivity they have been in the last 11 months, so they can do what they were created to do....transform my home into a Christmas wonderland.

Well, as I go lay on the couch to devise a plan on how and when I am going to decorate, I invite you to watch a video about some mellow Christmas music.

What came to mind was an album my sister Inland Empire Girl just shared with me. It is Yo Yo Ma's "Songs of Joy and Peace". Ma asked different musicians he wanted to collaborate with what song gives them Joy and Peace. Then each musician came to him with a song, and they recorded it for this album.

I enjoy thinking about this as a Christmas album, because to me, the Christmas themes of Joy and Peace are not exclusive for this time of year. They are something I experience throughout the year in a variety of ways. But I believe I receive this unexplainable joy and peace in my life throughout the year because of Jesus, whose birth we celebrate each year at Christmas.

This is an interview done by Time magazine with Yo Yo Ma, as he explains what this album is all about, and how it was created. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I am suffering from extreme fatigue and can't shake it ! Yesterday it was do I take down Thanksgiving stuff or go to bed. I was in bed by 8:00 ! Someone reminded me today that many of us suffer from XMASl or Extreme Fatigue because of our lack of light this time of year. I feel like I am in hibernation. Is someone trying to tell us that if we light up our house and tree it will give us more energy? I'm too exhausted to find out!! lol

Leahann said...

You are to funny. I hope you get a boost soon. I actually got mine yesterday. Work is slow so I cut my schedule back a day. A day to myself with no one to distract me. No one yelling "HEY MOM" over and over. I just cleaned house but it was the best day.

Christy Woolum said...

Okay... now I have had time to watch the video... is the family taking up Yo Yo's challenge and recording with kazoos?