5/12/20

Gathering Graces 5/4/2020 Star Wars Memories

May the Fourth Be With You.

Yes, it is Star Wars Day today.



I remember seeing the original Star Wars movie in high school at the Drive In Theater in Smelterville.

I don't think I really understood the movie the first time I saw it.

But they must have released it later, before the next episodes came out, because I eventually got it.  Or maybe I watched it on VHS before I saw the "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi".

I will always remember the night I saw "Return of the Jedi". I think my memory serves me correctly.  For Christmas, Paul had his mom, sister Laurie and cousin Di help put on a dinner at his mom and dad's house.  Then we drove to Spokane and watched "Return of the Jedi".  It was one of those times when the temperature hovered around zero, and when we got to the theater, the heater was not working.

When Paul drove me back home, and gave him his Christmas present.  It was also the first time we professed our love for one another.

But it was not a Princess Leia/Hans Solo kind of love declaration.  I did not say to Paul,  "I Love You", and he did not reply, "I Know".

Instead I wrote it in his Christmas card.  And, after reading it, he told me he loved me too.

And we have been loving each other ever since....through all nine episodes of the Star Wars series.


No comments: