5/6/20

Gathering Graces 5/2/2020 2000 Published Silver Valley Stories

On February 2, 2007 Silver Valley Stories was born.  On May 4, 2020, a little over 13 years later, I just published my 2000th blog post.

Here is what my first blog post said:



No shadow seen by the groundhog today in my backyard. Looks like an early spring in the Silver Valley. Which may not be a good thing when you enjoy two ski resorts within half an hour of each other. Believe it or not, the above picture is a color picture, not black and white. It was of a recent dump of snow here in my back yard. Just so much snow, you don't see a lot of color.
**************************************************************
Today is the day to start my blog. My brother, at www.kelloggbloggin.blogspot.com has inspired me the last few months by his daily posts regarding growing up in the Silver Valley, his three beautiful things, and his new digital photography hobby. But what I have got the most out of his blog is getting to know him on a whole new level.

I guess that is what I want to accomplish with my blog. I want my readers to get to know the Silver Valley on a whole new level. Through my eyes. I love the stories about this area, and there are many. When I used to be a local journalist, my favorite stories were the human interest pieces about people who lived and grew up here, and the stories they would share.

I hope to share some of those on this blog. I also want to share some of my experiences about my daily living in the Silver Valley. Also my observations about living here. And share other people's observations about living here.

So welcome. I hope to hear from others who love the Silver Valley as much as I, and maybe I'll even get a few converts who want to come check this place out sometime. Yes, the fact we are a Super Fund Site is part of the history of this area, but there is so much more to know about us here. Enjoy!

******************************************************************************

So much has happened in my life since 2007, and my blog has gone through many phases.

I have told stories about the Silver Valley.  I have told stories about my own life. For a while I wrote about "Silver Linings", where I focused on good things happening around the Silver Valley.

During the first year of my blog, I took a picture of the Tri-Color Beech tree in our backyard every day for a year, and posted a different picture of the tree with some kind of poem or quote.

In November of 2006, my siblings and I started assigning one another "Sibling Assignments".  According to my brother Bill's blogpost here is how these assignments got started:

My sister, Carol, pitched a writing idea to my other sister, Christy, and me.  We both agreed to her ides.  The idea:  Carol would give all three of us the same writing assignment regarding our lives growing up and we'd see how similarly or differently the same thing looks from our three perspectives.  Our first assignment is to write about Thanksgiving at the Jerry and Corrine Turnbow house.

Through these assignments we learned a lot about one another and connected in a new and special way.  At the time we began, we were living in three separate states.  I was in Kellogg, Bill was in Eugene, Oregon, and Christy was in Kettle Falls, Washington.

We branched off into Sibling Photo assignments for a while as well.

In January of 2017, I took my blog in another direction, with the beginnings of what I call "Gathering Graces".  Here is why I started this:


"Gathering Graces".

That is what I am going to attempt to do from now on to keep a track for me personally the wonderful things that happen in my life on a daily basis, and to make these things a part of my family and friends near and far who may want a glimpse into my daily life, as I similarly get a glimpse into my brother's daily life.

As I looked at the word "Grace" it fits so well with what I want to share.

As a Christian, God granted me grace by redeeming my life from sin.

We can say "Grace" before a meal to give thanks.

We say someone has grace if they have seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form or proportion.

Grace is also synonymous with mercy, kindness, and goodwill.

In Greek mythology, a Charis, or Grace is one of three or more minor goddesses of charm, beauty, nature, human creativity, and fertility, together known as the Charites or Graces.  The usual list, from youngest to oldest is Aglaea (Splendor), Euphrosyne (Mirth) and Thalia (Good Cheer).  In Roman mythology, they were known as the Gratiae, the "Graces".

Marble Statue Group of The Three Graces
Throughout the past 13 years, I have been consistent and posted every day.

I have posted here and there.

I have gone "dark" for long periods of time.

But I somehow always return, and find comfort in writing about my personal stories of living here in the beautiful Silver Valley.

No comments: