7/8/07

"Up The River" Beauty

This week's sibling assignment given by Inland Empire Girl has to do with going "Up the River". RP's post is here, and Inland Empire Girl's post is here.

For those of us who grew up in the Silver Valley, going "up the river" means traveling to the North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River. This isn't to be confused with the South Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River that runs through the towns of Mullan, Wallace, Osburn, Kellogg, Smelterville and Pinehurst.

At Kingston, the two forks merge into the main fork of the Coeur d'Alene River, and travels west through the Chain Lakes to the town of Harrison, where it flows in Lake Coeur d'Alene.

For my assignment, I would like to share with you some pictures showing the beauty up the river, and the areas surrounding it.


I love this river.

If you know where to go, other treasures await you off the beaten path, like Fern Falls...
and Shadow Falls.

Right before you arrive in Murray, Idaho, there is a road that takes you to the Settler's Grove of Ancient Cedars.
Ancient Cedars tower above you providing a cool retreat on a hot summer's day.

If you head past Murray, you go east over Thompson Pass toward Montana. Here is a view at the top, looking back over the Silver Valley.
So, do you wonder why I love living here?

6 comments:

raymond pert said...

It's just this beauty Ed and I were admiring after playing pool at the King's Inn and heading up to Prichard Days...it all comes back now...thank you!

Go Figure said...

Nope I sure don't wonder. I will try to make it up to the Sixth Street Melodrama. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

RP-- Yes, I'm sure that is EXACTLY what you two were admiring through the fog you were drifting in to.

STARR--I hope you can make it to a show. We are having a blast, and I think you would have fun!!

Christy Woolum said...

You will have to remind me where those waterfalls are again. I remember you talking about going there. Spectacular pictures.

Taking Her Place said...

What beautiful pictures and area. :) (I like taking scenery pics myself.)

I like that you and your siblings give each other blogging assignments. A great idea!

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I love that river also. One of my favorite swimming holes was at The Rock. The road past the Bumble Bee turnoff was gravel and dirt when we first went up there, and the swimming hole was seldom used by many folks.