6/13/08

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

This week, I gave the sibling assignment, and I am going to get it done on time!!


My assignment for the week is as follows:


Write about a Silver Valley memory where the central focus deals with one of the four Greek classical elements: fire, earth, air or water.

I have very vivid memories from my childhood that deal with water, or specifically rain.

I must have been three or four year old when I was out with my wagon and my doll, and I was walking around the block, and all of a sudden there was a downpour. BH, who lived on the next block over, took me to her house to find shelter from the storm, along with my doll and wagon. I stayed there until the rain storm was over, and I could get home without getting drenched. I think my mom was a little worried about me, but I think BH's mom called her, and let her know I was okay. That incident must have had a great impact on me, because I remember many vivid details from that event.

I was very scared of thunder and lightning rain storms when I was little. Now I love them, but as a child, they were very frightening.

When I was in fourth or fifth grade, we had a lot of flooding here in Kellogg, kind of like this year. The "Lead Creek" or the South Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River was running very high, and we were out of school because of the flooding. My friend WM called and asked if I could come over. This involved crossing the bridge over the river...the river that was running very high. It didn't really frighten me that much to cross the bridge...but Mom was a bit freaked out.

Rainstorms, Thunder Lightening. Floods. All were a part of growing up in the Silver Valley, and were part of my memories of growing up in this valley in the mountains.

3 comments:

Cedar Street Kid said...

Hey, SVG, nice post. I laugh every time I hear about lightning because before I realized my wife to be loved me, we had a severe storm where we were living and working. She told me how afraid she was of thunder and such.Come to find out several months later after we had started dating, she actually loves storms, having grown up on the Eastern seaboard. She told me she was afraid becasue she thought that I would comfort her during the storm. Sneaky woman.

Christy Woolum said...

We sure had some storms. I can't believe the number of times I was caught on my bike somewhere during a downpour.

Christy Woolum said...

You've been tagged over at my blog!