11/30/15

Advent Thoughts: 11.30.15 The People Walking in Darkness Have Seen A Great Light #advent

Isaiah 9:2

The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.
 
 
I really don't know historically what happened between the end of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New Testament.
 
It seems like a very dark time.
 
God seemed to have a presence in the people of Israel throughout the Old Testament.
 
But the presence went away for over 400 years.
 
And the people were patient.  They waited for the Messiah.
 
I think of advent as this dark time.  The days not only are getting shorter and darker, but I look at Advent as a time of darkness that wait for the great light.
 
As the verse in Isaiah says, the people walking in darkness have seen a great light.  Those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.
 
People are afraid of the dark.  Dark makes them uneasy.  People are relieved when light comes into a dark room.  We often don't know all that is going on in the dark.  It can be scary.
 
But the light brings about clarity.  The light shines on the darkness.   It often brings comfort.
 
That is what I am hoping this Advent season.  That the areas of my life that are dark, and scary and uncomfortable become illuminated by the Light of the World. 
 
I find comfort in God's light.
 
I find peace in God's light.
 
I find joy in God's light.
 
God's light often illumines things in my life that make me uncomfortable, but that is only for my good, to make me more loving and more lovable. 
 
And gives me the ability to love others as well.
 
We all have darkness within.  I like God's plan on how to deal with the darkness.
 
Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?
 
In this world of darkness and fear, God tells us that He is our light and salvation, and whom shall we fear? 
 
This is what I believe. 
 
Therefore, as I walk through whatever darkness comes into my life, I need not fear.
 
And I find much comfort in this reality.

No comments: