1/30/10

Oswald Chambers is Changing My Thinking

Well, I am now into the January sibling assignments, so I am slowly getting caught up.

IEG gave us four sibling assignments this month, all to do with the subject Best.

Her first assignment was this:

Best Book Read Recently That Helped Change Your Thinking About Something

For my daily devotions I have decided to read "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.

This devotional is changing my view of God, and how I respond to Him on a daily basis.

I love it when Chambers challenges me with how I am living my life, and responding daily to God and what He wants me to do.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from this past month.

January 3rd--If we have never had the experience of taking off our commonplace religious shoes off our commonplace religious feet, and getting rid of all the undue familiarity with which we approach God, it is questionable whether we have ever stood in His presence.

January 4th--When God brings the blank space, see that you do not fill it in, but wait.

January 6th--Whenever you get a blessing from God, give it back to Him as a love gift.  Take time to meditate before God and offer the blessing back to him in a deliberate act of worship.

January 11th--Stagnation in spiritual life comes when we say we will bear the whole thing ourselves.

January 12th--We have to get rid of that idea that we understand ourselves; it is the last conceit to go.  The Only One Who understands us is God.

January 13th--There are whole tracts of stubbornness and ignorance to be revealed by the Holy Spirit in each one of us, and it can only be done when Jesus gets us alone.

January 18--The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for Him.  Is is easier to serve than to be drunk to the dregs.

January 19th--The one thing for which we are all being disciplined is to know that God is real.

These devotions are directing my thoughts daily toward God and is helping develop and stronger and closer relationship with Jesus Christ.

And through this process, my thinking is changed.

1 comment:

Nita Jo said...

Perfect... I found my copy of Chambers Journal a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to use it again. The quote you shared from January 11... that has been me... for months... deciding to try to bear some things all by myself. Some days I found it hard to even talk to God.

I know I'm not the only one. Seeing this post was a reminder, I need to be reading the journal again. Thanks.