8/18/08

CDA Bookshelves and Mamma Mia! Get Thumbs Up

IEG and I spend a sister day together. We drove to Coeur d'Alene and had Mexican Mochas and Blueberry Lemon scones at Calypso Coffee. Then we shopped in Coeur d'Alene at local thrift and used books stores for books. What a better way to spend a morning than thumbing through shelves and shelves of books. And I found some great finds...some for pleasure, some for book research, and some are books I have read but I don't have in my own collection.

Here is a rundown on my book purchases:

Two dog books, one on Keeshonds and one on Pomeranians.

"The Complete Book of Herbal Teas" a book on growing, harvesting and brewing herbal teas by Marietta Marshall Marcin.

Three books I found for research for my book:

"Roses of the West" and "Soiled Doves: Prostitution In The Early West" both by Anne Seagraves, and "The Writer's Guide To Everyday Life in the 1800's" by Marc McCutcheon.

Five books I have wanted to read, but never have:

"tuesdays wth Morrie" by Mitch Albom, "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver, "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier, "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells, and "Heartburn" by Nora Ephron.

A book IEG recommended that I had never heard of:

"A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman" by Joan Anderson.

A book that just looked interesting:

"The Clothes They Stood Up In and The Lady in the Van" by Alan Bennett.

And my top four finds include:

"Les Miserable" by Victor Hugo. My youngest daughter is named after the character Cosette. It is one of the best books I have ever read.

"Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. This is a classic that should be in everyone's library.

"Dream West" by David Nevin, the book that made me fall in love with historical fiction. I read this 20 years ago and I loved how it brought the story of John Charles Fremont alive to me.

"Seasons of My Heart" by Barbara Peretti. This is a special book because it was written by my friend Barbara, and illustrated by another friend, Carrie Parks. This book is out of print, so it was a great find.

We then ate lunch at Sunshine Traders and recovered from book shopping overload. I enjoyed The Hobbit sandwich, with some yummy Market Spice iced tea.

Then off to stock up on liquid hand soaps for the year at Bath and Body Works, and a stop at T.J. Maxx. Then we each enjoyed a lemonade drink at Starbucks while we waited to attend the movie.

Mamma Mia! was such a fun movie. I laughed, I cried, I sang along to the songs, and thoroughly enjoyed watching Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski and Julie Walters, three 50ish actresses steal the show playing fun, sexy and desirable women. I loved it!! If you enjoy big musical production numbers and ABBA songs, you should enjoy it too.

After the movie we drove to Post Falls to eat at The White House, a restaurant famous for the Mediterranean cuisine which is very heavy on the garlic...yum, yum. I enjoyed a Gyro and some pasta salad. And Baklava to go!!

It was a great time spending a day with my older sister, making memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect day--books, family, garlic, Starbucks, White House. It makes me smile just to read about it.

Christy Woolum said...

Yes... it was a great time...especially finding that copy of The Handle.... grrr.

Nita Jo said...

I had decided what to say on this comment... till I read Laurie's! She said it... "What a perfect day!"

Oh, thanks for the review on Mama Mia! If I go to one movie this year, that was the one I had chosen. Sounds like it will be worth it!